Chapter 22 | You Taste Good

"The cupcakes!"

"The cupcakes!"

Holden sits up quickly with a grunt, blinking the sleep out of his eyes and looking around, clearly trying to decipher where that scream came from. It was me. I totally screamed.

"What the fuck?" He mutters and finally notices me wrapping his sheets around my body and struggling to stand up. "What are you doing?"

"The cupcakes!" I repeat. The sheets tangle around my legs and I lose footing, falling back on the bed face-first. Damn it. Stupid sheets of death. I wiggle like a freaking worm, my arms pinned against my rib cage . "HOLDEN. I'm stuck."

He sighs tiredly and then I feel his hands grab my shoulders to roll me over. He pops up in my line of sight, upside down. That frown of his looks like a smile but I know he's scowling big time.

"Forget the cupcakes. Can we go back to sleep?"

"The frosting will melt, Satan. I forgot all about them until the lights just came back on."

He glances up, finally realizing the power is back. His face screams resignation when he looks at me again. "You need to learn to let me sleep."

I laugh guiltily. It's a good point. "Sorry."

"Go check your damn stuff." He leans down to press a kiss to my mouth that I return with a smile. Look at him just kissing me like this is totally normal. I may or may not be squealing on the inside. "Then bring your ass back here."

"Okay," I giggle against his lips, nipping softly.

His hands push at my back to help me up and then I get to my feet. I hobble the rest of the way out of his room because I'm still cocooned in his sheets and I have no idea how to undo it. I'm pretty sure I hear him chuckle under his breath right before I'm gone. I fight off a smile. Little jerk.

Admittedly, I'm a wobbly mess because my legs aren't working all that well either. Holden and I had sex a second time and it was even more intense than the first. Two rounds back-to-back turned me into a pile of mush and nothing more. He kind of deserves to gloat.

I peek out into the hallway to make sure the coast is clear before waddling across to my apartment. I turn the knob easily and curse at myself for leaving the door unlocked. I was in such a rush to go to Holden's place that I totally abandoned my place and poor cupcakes. Said cupcakes sit on the counter and thankfully they seem completely fine. I at least had the common sense to box them really quickly and they're sitting on the counter next to the fridge so they kept cool.

I wrestle my arm out of the sheet to tend to my abandoned treats. The cool air from the fridge is not helping and my naked body erupts into goosebumps behind the thin cloth. A squeak of alarm escapes me and I work fast to finish these cupcakes so I can put them in the fridge and leave them overnight. I'm shaking all over as I open the freezer to grab a pack of frozen berries then slam it shut again. These babies need to be dipped in some hot fudge, set on top of the vanilla frosting as a finishing touch to my angel cupcakes, and then I can run back to Holden's place before I turn into a human icicle.