24 ♚ Sorrowful Closure

Start from the beginning

Thirty-five seconds…

Light kept checking his watch. He really is Kira. There was no doubting that.

“Well, Near. It looks like I win.”

“Forty!” Mikami shouted.

Everyone had terrified looks on their faces. Yet none of them died. Mikami turned to Light in horror.

“Why didn’t they die?! God, I did everything you told me to!”

God? you thought in disbelief.

That was when two of the men from the SPK ceased him. Near explained everything; all of the evidence so accurately that you wanted to smile in slight content.

Light’s eyes widened. “This is all a trap! Near framed me!”

Mogi placed his hand on Light’s shoulder. “There isn’t any use in lying. Just give it up already.”

“Near didn’t frame you, Light.”

“Who do you think you’re talking to?” Light sneered at you.

“I…” you realized that your hand shook in anger.

“I’m talking to the monster that murdered the only man I’ve ever fallen in love with.”

“He was in the way. Don’t you idiots understand what kind of place this world has become? He had to be sacrificed, don’t you get it? I was going to become our savior!” 

You got closer to him and gave him the death glare; the one that you’ve wanted to give him ever since Lawliet’s death.

“Savior! You call yourself a savior! You’re nothing but a crazy, vile murderer! My love for L was what kept me happy, Light! And you took that; you snatched that one thing, Light! That one thing!"

Near put his hand on your shoulder and pulled you back.

“That’s quite enough.  Now isn’t exactly the right time to be doing this.”

“I’m sorry, Near.”

A few tears had escaped from your eyes.

“I know how angry you are. But for now, I’d like for you to just hold it in,”

“Fine.”

Light continued to blabber on about how he would have made the world a better place for everyone.

But Mastuda had shot him before he could pull out his watch. He persisted until Light had fallen to the ground, barely alive. Yet Light still managed to get up. The door screeched open; light from the sunset poured in.

“Don’t waste your breath going after him. He’ll have to stop running eventually.”

Near was right. After a while of searching for him, we found him on the stairs of a power plant. He was lying there, covered in blood. His eyelids were half-closed. Mogi morosely walked over to shut them completely. He was dead.

* * * 

“So Light is gone,” Matsuda said, looking like he regretted giving Light so many gunshot wounds.

“I wish that Light could’ve lived; could have just left this whole Kira thing behind,”

“This case is finally closed after all this time.”

Matsuda sighed again, looking towards me sadly along with the others.  “I guess this is goodbye, isn't it,” he said.

“It was great working with all of you for all of these years.  Good job, everyone. We really did kick butt on this case.  Stay safe, you hear?”

You tried not to sound too sad as you started to walk out.

“Hey,” Aizawa began.

“Yes, Sir?”

“We’re all sorry that you lost Ryuzaki. He must have been very important to you.”

You smiled, brushing away a stray tear streaming down your cheek.  “You have no clue, Sir,”

* * *

“So, he’s dead,” you stared Lawliet’s tombstone, “Light is dead,”

To your surprise, you felt slight sadness when saying this. You really wished that Light hadn’t become this monster.

“I’ll miss it here. Especially since I’m leaving all these memories behind,"

You got choked up, preventing you from being able to easily talk.  “I-I love you. I love you so much,” you dropped to your knees, bringing your hands to the ground as well.  Tears splattered.  “I’m never, ever going to forget you.  I promise...  I promise, Lawliet,” you repeated.

The necklace that he gave you had caught your eye. Continuing to sob, you traced your fingertips around the pattern.

“I’ll come back to visit someday, but since it’s so painful right now... especially now..."

You sat down in front of the noodle shop as your final stop before leaving. It was the same place that you and Lawliet had reunited.

Looking to the side, you saw an odd man, and an odd feeling of deja vu washed over you.

Messy hair, black bags around his eyes. You laughed and stared up at the sky.

“Well Lawliet, I guess your death really did drive me insane,”

“It is you,” he grinned.

That voice…

You took another look at him. It was that smile that reminded you of the creepy grudge girl so many times before!

“GAH!” you dropped the bowl of noodles onto the street. “Lawliet?!”

* * *

A/N: TO BE CONTINUED… (Cries because the next chapter will be the final one!)  I hope you guys have enjoyed the series so far!  I love you all!