Five

princess duties

princess duties

Aya was on her way to the local library to pick a book to read in Port City's elementary school, one of five in the small country.  It was the final task before her flight home after a more exhausting than relaxing weekend visit home.

Aya was looking forward to watching shitty films with Spencer like he'd asked. She was planning on spending at least one night over the next few days at his apartment so they could watch lots of movies, and so Spencer would stop eating take-out for every meal.

aya
last thing to do
before i get on my
flight back to va!

spence
i'll have popcorn waiting

Aya smiled at her phone and made her way out of the royal car she'd been in to enter the library. The cameras immediately began flashing as Daniel led her into the public library.

It was definitely unconventional for her to go to the library and pick a book, but Aya had always loved the library. The library building, however, was older than her grandmother and was in need of renovations. Aya was fully prepared to allow the money necessary, but her grandmother insisted that the library needed more use before the money was spent on the old building.

As she picked up The Very Hungry Caterpillar and checked the book out, she felt her phone vibrating in her purse, but couldn't answer. Aya smiled with the librarian as her photo was taken.

Aya stepped outside of the library and turned to the press.

"For years, this library has been incredibly kind to us. My grandmother and I hope to renovate the building soon, but before we can, we ask that we all unite together to check out more books and register for more library cards. Thank you."

With that, Aya got into the car, with Daniel shutting her door behind her. As he sat in the front seat, she asked, "Was that okay?"

"Sounded great, Your Highness," he told her. "Promise."

Aya smiled and pulled out her phone, the smile instantly falling.

SOPHIA
don't hate me
i'm getting transferred
i have to move out

aya
i don't hate you!
it's not your fault.
where are you getting
transferred to?

SOPHIA
fucking kansas
i think my boss hates me

aya
i somehow doubt that
when do you leave

SOPHIA
i have three weeks to
get to kansas
again, vom

aya
damn.
i'm gonna miss you

Aya giggled at that. She would miss her best friend, of course, but Sophia always had a way of making Aya laugh, even at the most stressful of times.

"Everything alright?" Daniel asked.

"Sophia's moving out."

"Damn."

"Yeah."

The car pulled up to Port City Elementary School and Daniel escorted Aya to the auditorium, where students were waiting for her to read to them.

"Hello, friends! My name is Princess Aya," she greeted them. "Does anyone know what my job is?"

"Is your job to protect us from pirates?" asked a little boy in a neon green shirt.

"Sort of! Sometimes merchants have problems with pirates."

"Do you make laws for us?" A girl in a dark purple dress.

"Yes! One more."

"Do you talk to other princes and princesses to help Otharia?" A boy in a magenta shirt.

"I do! So my job is to talk to the leaders of other countries, like the President of the United States or the Prime Minister of Canada, and make sure that they respect Otharia. I also make laws and set rules that protect our merchants from pirates!"

Aya heard a quiet "cool", which made her smile. "Do you guys have any questions?"

"What's your favorite color?" "Do you have any pets?" "Are you married?" "How old are you?" were the questions asked, but Aya expected as much, having done this before. She answered each question politely and in order.

"Now, who would like to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar?"

The auditorium was filled with cheers as Aya began the book, and then again when she finished it.

Daniel then escorted Aya to her car, which was to head straight for the tarmac so Aya could be back in Virginia by end of the night.

The two sat in silence on the flight home. Aya was lost in thought about the library. And Sophia. And her coworkers.

They were profilers, she knew they'd figure her out soon.

Then she remembered all the samples she still had to analyze. Guess she's going to the office tomorrow.

♕ ♕ ♕

Spencer was ecstatic when the knock on the door finally arrived. He used his crutches to get to the door, where Aya was waiting on the other side.

"Oh, my god! Spence! You could've just said come in!"

Spencer grinned at her. "I wanted to greet you. Come on, I've got movies queued for us!"

Aya smiled brightly and Spencer felt his heart skip a beat -- but he knew that wasn't scientifically possible, yet no words felt correct but those. She was nearly perfect to Spencer.

She sat down next to him on the couch. "Miss me?"

"Nope," he joked, holding out her bowl of popcorn.

"Way harsh!"

"Anyway, I hope you don't mind, I was thinking we could watch The Crown instead?"

"Yes! I love that show. My grandmother and I watch it and criticize," Aya hesitated. "The costumes."

Spencer couldn't hold the words in anymore.

"When were you gonna tell me you're the princess of Otharia?"