One

welcoming committee

welcoming committee

Aya ran for the elevator, catching the door and stepping in. She adjusted the sweater that her best friend and roommate, Sophia, had picked out for her first day in her new office. Inside were two women who, with a flick of her eyes to the elevator buttons, Aya determined also worked for the BAU.

As she stepped out of the elevator, she was met by SES Erin Strauss, who led her to SSA Aaron Hotchner's office. He was a stern-looking man, which Aya took note of as she received a quick briefing of their expectations of her.  Aya shook Strauss's hand and thanked her once more, before following Agent Hotchner to her office, which was at the top of the bullpen, near Hotchner's.

Hotchner then turned to her and shook her hand.  "Welcome to the team, Doctor Finnick.  Go ahead and get settled in.  We'll have a team meeting in a half hour."

"Thank you," Aya replied, before turning out of her office to her car.

She had anticipated an office — or cubicle — to decorate and had brought a few plants to place for now. She would come in early one day after this case to add a bookshelf and more plants.

Aya also had her go bag in her car, so she grabbed that as well and put it in the big drawer of her desk.

The plants, she placed alongside the window and one on her desk. They were all very realistic looking, but very fake. Aya, who had grown up believing that princesses had magic powers when it came to plants and animals, unfortunately had the opposite of a green thumb. Try as she might, she had killed every plant she'd ever had. Including a bamboo plant Sophia had given her when they'd graduated from the FBI Acadmey.

When 24 minutes had passed, Aya left her office and made her way to the conference room she'd passed with Strauss earlier.

All eyes were on her. There was the blonde and brunette women from the elevator, Agent Hotchner, and three individuals she didn't recognize.

"Team, this is Doctor Aya Finnick, our new forensic scientist. Agent Finnick, this is SSA Emily Prentiss, SSA Derek Morgan, SSA David Rossi, SSA Jennifer Jareau, our communications liaison, and Dr. Spencer Reid," Hotchner informed her, pointing at each agent as he introduced them. "Have a seat."

Aya nodded once and took the empty seat between Agents Rossi and Morgan. The former gave her an odd look, while the latter gave her a nod and a smile. She smiled back and turned her attention to Hotchner.

"William Hightower," Agent Jareau started.

Aya listened to each word she said with complete confusion. How were they going to investigate a case with no evidence?

"Wheels up in 30."

Aya felt the need to run to her office as she saw a few of the other agents turn towards her.

"I'm Derek," Agent Morgan said, holding his hand out.

Aya shook his hand, trying not to think about how appalled her grandmother would be if she saw this. "Aya." She then turned to Agent Rossi and did the same thing.

He continued to study her face. "Dave. Welcome to the team, kid."

He then walked away to talk to Hotchner.

"So did Hotch have a say in you joining the team?" Emily asked after everyone else had introduced themselves.

Aya blinked at her. "I believe so.  SES Strauss called me to invite me to the team, but SSA Hotchner didn't seem to be annoyed when we were introduced."

"How old are you?"

All eyes turned to Dr. Reid. JJ was about to say something when Aya smiled.

"I'm twenty six."

Dr. Reid seemed intrigued by this and, as always, Aya was quickly realizing, Derek had something to say about it.

"You're younger than Pretty Boy, over here!"

Aya smiled awkwardly at him, before excusing herself to her office to retrieve her bag and call her grandmother.

"Hello, my darling!"

"Hello, Grandmother. How are you?"

"Better now that I've heard from my favorite Finnick."

Aya rolled her eyes at the blatant distaste for her father. "I'm calling to let you know I am going to Canada on a case, but I will call when I arrive back at my office. Will you please call off Daniel? I am an American federal agent, I can't be followed around by a man in a black car," she told her grandmother.

"You are the heir to the throne," her grandmother scolded. "But yes, I'll call off Daniel until your return to Virginia. When will you be home?"

"I don't know, Gramama," she said. "I love you. I'll call from Canada.

Her grandmother repeated her words and the call was over.

She took her bag out of her desk drawer and met the rest of the team in the bullpen to leave.  Instead of leaving, Emily decided to drag her off to meet someone before they left.

♕ ♕ ♕

David Rossi could not put his finger on where he recognized the girl from. Her last name and face were so familiar, yet he couldn't place it.

After boarding the plan, he sat next to Aaron. "So what's her deal?"

"I'm surprised you don't recognize her."

"I can't put my finger on where I know her from."

Aaron nodded and said nothing.

David grunted and moved to sit next to the women on the plane. "Aya, did you get a chance to meet our technical analyst, Garcia?"

"Actually, very briefly. Emily introduced me a moment before we left. It was really just shaking hands," Aya replied with a smile.

"Tell me about yourself. I noticed you have an accent."

Aya gave a tight smile. "I'm not from the U.S., but my dad was born here."

Emily opened her mouth to ask where she's from, but Hotch walked over to discuss the case at that moment and silenced her with a single word:

"Confidential."