CHAPTER 6

Chapter 6 

 For thirty-eight years I was the go between for Bob and his mother. When she wanted any work done at their place she would tell me expecting me to convince Bob to go home and do the work. I guess she figured if she asked him directly he would say no, but I could warm him up to the idea. Sometimes he wasn’t able to get away like when I helped his parents paint their main floor: every room plus the baseboards. It took a week. Then when his dad was recovering from surgery, I stayed to help out for eleven days. Bob was retired then and could have stayed with me but he said he had his afternoon curling and didn’t want to miss that so he dropped me off and returned home, a five hour drive away. 

     Every Saturday of our married life, I called Bob’s mother. He never bothered calling himself; it was like I was making the call on his behalf.  

     “How was your week?” I asked his mom.

     “Fine.” Bob’s mother’s voice was cold.

     “Did you go anywhere new or run into any friends?

      “No.”

     “I’ve been watching this new comedy on TV called Mike and Molly, I think you’d really like it.”

     “I don’t think so.”

     “Have you seen it?”

     “No.”

     “You should try it.”

     “I don’t need anyone telling me what to do.”

     I squeezed my eyes shut waiting. I could hear her snorting breath.

     “Did you have company at the lake house last summer?” she asked.

     I tried to make my voice sound casual. “Oh Yeah, that’s what the lake house is for.”

    “Did you invite Merna up?”

     “Yes.” Bob’s mother had an off again on again relationship with her sister Merna and unfortunately Bob invited her in the off again time. But his mother had so much animosity toward her sister and so many stories of injustices done to her over the years that I think even if he invited her in the on again period his mother would still have been upset. I don’t know what hurt was suffered between the two of them but it was irreparable.  

     “You know we’re not speaking. Did you do it to piss me off?”

     “No. It’s just that she has never been here before and she happened to call and was staying at your sister-in-laws. She was so close to us, she thought she would stop in and see us too.” 

I didn’t bother telling her that it was Bob who made the arrangements and I had nothing to do with it.    “So you’re visiting her behind my back. I suppose you email her too. Have you been talking to her on the phone?

     “No. I don’t bother with her much. It was just that one time.”

     “Does Bob contact her?”

     “You have to ask him. I don’t know.” I didn’t dare tell her they were becoming best of friends.

     “If you see her, call her or email her then don’t bother calling me ‘cause I don’t want anything to do with you ever. And don’t come to the house either.” This wasn’t an idle threat. His mom said exactly what she meant and always followed through with it.