Chapter twelve「12 課」

Depuis le début

-

Hinata went to put his helmet behind the counter, taking the usual apron from its hook. Coach Ukai was sitting over in his usual spot, a black hoodie on instead of his regular pale orange. He had the same irritated face. "Hinata, you can go clean out the pork bun oven, it's getting all grimy and gross." The older man pointed at the tiny cube oven where the buns where usually cooked and warmed. "It just needs to be wiped down and cleaned. Then you can help Nishinoya hang the banners around and outside the store." Hearing his name out loud felt strange, like a prick in his heart.

Hinata nodded and opened the oven, taking over the empty metal wire racks. He sprayed the inside with the same horrible artificial apple disinfectant from the other day. It wiped clean easier than he imagined and he went to dry the inside glass with a clean cloth. After the minor cleaning job, he walked over to where Nishinoya was still seated, he was still up on the ladder; this time texting on his phone instead of working.

"Hi..." Hinata spoke up, awkwardly. He caught the attention of Nishinoya who looked up from his screen, his smile fell from his face. "Hi." His reply was just as quiet. Hinata remembered how he had told Nishinoya that he liked boys. A weird tight feeling grew in the pit of his stomach, he hoped it wasn't the reason why Nishinoya was ignoring him. The older boy just looked down from his spot on the ladder, waiting for him to continue talking.

"About yesterday... I'm sorry if I made things weird, I don't know why you're ignoring me..." Hinata licked his lips, trying to meet Nishinoya's eyes that remained glued to his hands. Nishinoya gritted his teeth. He didn't say anything. The emotions that he tried to repress began to swell up in his chest again.

Ignored, again Hinata thought. It stung more than before. He swallowed hard, fighting the words that flooded his mouth that threatened to spill out.

"I- don't understand. I told you everything, are you still mad about what I said on Saturday?" His voice began to grow impatient.

"Why can't you say anything? Anything at all?" Hinata's voice cracked. Nishinoya just looked away and put his phone back in his pocket. He grabbed the posters from the top of the shelf and climbed down the steps, walking away from Hinata. The posters dropped into a pile below the counter and he tugged off the dusty, white apron. Ukai looked up from his magazine, curious. "Oi, where are you going?" He called out to Nishinoya who stormed out of the store without another word.

"Wait! Yuu!" Hinata rushed after him, hesitating for a moment before walking out the door as Ukai called out for them to come back. He caught up with the other boy, grabbing onto his shoulder and stopping him in his path. Hinata pulled him back, facing his fear and looked at him dead in the eyes. Hinata was taken back by what he saw, flinching slighty.

Nishinoya's eyes were soft with a tinge of sadness and weakness, it almost seemed like he could cry. Hinata had never seen such raw emotion. Only for a moment before they grew hard and his brows lowered. Hinata stood back and let go.

"What don't you understand? Why do you keep telling me all these things?" Nishinoya's words were quiet, he didn't break their locked gaze. He sighed and blinked, looking away.

"What...?" This was the only thing Hinata was able to muster up in his confusion. Nishinoya kicked the ground with his feet. "I can't do this! I don't know what you're trying to do but you need to stop playing with me!" The older boy shouted and showed his teeth in turmoil, he groaned getting irritated.

Hinata didn't know what to say, he just froze. His eyes widened at the sudden burst of anger. Nishinoya grabbed his own hair, groaning in frustration and shaking his head.

"I can't lose everything..." His hard voice wavered in anguish, and he grabbed onto Hinata's shoulders.

"I- I wish I was like you; I wish I could understand how I felt and that everything would be okay. But..." His head fell as his eyes dropped to the ground, welling up with tears of anger and pain mixed. He laughed quietly as tears threatened to fall.