Chapter six 「6 課」

Hinata hated English class, he couldn't understand why he had to learn it when everyone spoke Japanese. He glared at the textbook below him that was written in a foreign language. The boy rubbed his temple, he could recognise the letters but barely knew what they meant. He knew a few phrases like "Hello" and "My name is..." but that was the extent of his knowledge. During junior school, Hinata barely payed attention in class, especially in English. At first, he thought it would be cool to learn English because he would be able to read American comics or listen to foreign music and understand. Then, when he tried to pay attention in class; it was a whole new, alien concept. "It's the weird words..." He tried to reassure himself, whispering under his breath. Why are there so many different ways to pronounce things? Why is bomb pronounced bomb but womb was pronounced like room???

Hinata groaned and shook his head. "Hinata, please recite the text at the top of page 58." The voice of his teacher pierced through his consciousness. His worst nightmare, trying to speak English in front of everyone was coming true. He jolted up and stared at the words. "Recite the following aloud with a partner-"

"No below that, Hinata. Read it with Kageyama" The teacher stated, causing Hinata to fumble around, embarrassed. "S-sorry." Hinata looked over to his tall friend, who looked half awake- barely noticing what was going on. The orange haired boy stared at his friend. Kageyama flipped open his textbook. "What page are we on?" He whispered as the teacher looked on at them impatiently. They had to read a conversation between two colleagues in a workplace scenario.

"Hello, good after...noon" Hinata started, looking at his friend with little confidence in his voice.

"How are you." Kageyama replied monotonously. "It's a question, Kageyama. The question mark acts the same as the question marking particle we use in Japanese." He nodded his head.

"How are YOU?" He repeated, stretching his words a little too dramatically.

"I am good. What is the...whether...like for tomorrow?" Hinata struggled at pronouncing the word. The two sounded like robots. "Hinata, it's weather. Wheth-er is used in sentences describing a choice or two options." Hinata sighed again. "It's too hard, sir." He grumbled.

Kageyama scoffed as if, he too, didn't share the same skill level as Hinata. "Maybe think about something other than volleyball for once. Idiot." His best friend didn't miss an opportunity to insult him ever. "Shut up, Stupidyama. You think you're so good at English." Hinata grabbed his textbook and flipped to a random page and pointed at a random word. "What does this word mean!" He demanded, challenging the boy in a whisper-yell. The word was arrangement. "Arrangement." Kageyama replied. "No! What does it mean?" Kageyama lowered his brow. "Do you even know what that word means in the first place?"

"I'm asking you what it means! You don't even know, do you?" Hinata hissed. "It means..."the plan or preparation of a future event"!" Hinata announced with false victory. "Dumbass! You're looking at the definition in the book." The smaller boy tossed the book back down on the table. "I was only double checking." He crossed his arms. "You're shit at lying." Kageyama leaned back in his chair and looked away, resting his head against his hand. "Arrangement is probably a word that never gets used anyways, useless word." Hinata huffed, blowing his bangs out of his face. It seems that the duo had to compete against each other in everything; including incompetence.

-

Lunch passed slowly. The two usually spent their time practising passes with each other but Hinata had knocked the ball over of the fence. Kageyama was not surprised when Hinata tried to dig but ended up sending the ball backwards. It rolled off his wrists and went flying onto the roof where it kept going until it fell off and over the school's back fence. The two boys tried to chase after it and climbed the fence but got caught by the lunch monitor several times. He gave them empty threats about detention before walking off, waving his obnoxious finger at them.