Chapter Nine - Recover (King)

ابدأ من البداية

What?

"Those are all your demands?" Runn asked. "In order for you to go home for the holidays, all I have to do is live with you and go visit your mother with you."

"That's it."

"But, P." He tilted his head. "You only bring someone home if you're—well, you know?"

"I can bring a friend home." I pointed out.

Runn sighed and turned to open the door. I followed him in and closed the door behind me then helped him with his bag. He brought me juice and I thanked him but set the drink on the center table.

"Can I think about it?" Runn asked.

"Well, you know the clock." I told him. Waiting, I picked up my juice and drained it. "I should go, but if you need anything, call."

"This isn't fair, you know?" He called after me.

"You've already said that." I told him.

"Listen, I'd like to ask favor."

"For living with me?" I asked.

"No...this has nothing to do with what we've just discussed." Runn walked after me. He stepped in front of me to block my way from exiting. "It's about Tao."

I looked away.

"Hear me out," Runn said. "It's hard to make friends. And yes, they're going to hurt you and betray you but what if they don't? For now, you can take Tao at his word that he no longer works for your father. You don't have to give him one hundred percent right away. Right now, he needs you to be there for him because losing his mother cannot be easy."

I looked into Runn's eyes.

"Don't think of anything other than being there for him as he mourns his mother." Runn continued. "You two don't even have to speak. Ask him out for coffee and just sit with him."

"And you think this could lead to something—more?" I asked.

"Maybe." Runn replied. "But for now, forget he works for anyone. For the sake of the friendship you had with him before—be his backbone now. It can't be easy for him right now and I'm sure the last thing he's thinking about is your father. When he's ready to stand on his own, reevaluate your friendship and go from there."

I exhaled and left his place.

I waited until after his door was locked behind me before I truly exited the building. My mind was going a million mile a minute. It was a kind of chaos that swarmed in on me with Runn away from me. I needed to learn to stand on my own. I knew if I told Runn that he would agree to stand by my side—he's that kind of friend.

Aside from going home with me, I couldn't ask him to do more. He didn't need the burden of all of that. Still, I spent the night alone. The next day I worked hard, editing the photos I'd taken. Though I wanted to call run, to invite him to edit with me, I didn't want to rush him.

But my mother didn't have the same issue. Holding my breath, I saved my file and answered the call. "Yes, Mae?"

"It's the same question as before." She said.

"I'm fine mother, thank you for asking." I spat. "And I'll be coming home for the water festival. If all goes well, I'll be bringing a friend."

"A friend?" She asked. "Will it be Tao?"

"You know better."

She exhaled loudly. "Well, I supposed I should be thankful—whomever this friend is. He or she will be welcomed. I'll have the maid prepare a room."