"Yes," Alista replied without missing a beat. "Jessica is the type who seems pretty quiet and shy, but she really isn't — her sarcasm and sense of humor comes out to people she gets close to. Then there's me, your resident socializer —"

"— and flirt," Bethany side-commented, making Jessica laugh under her breath.

"And you, Bethany," Alista continued. "People get intimidated by you because your filter disappears the moment you or the people you care about are insulted even just a bit."

Bethany opened her mouth to retaliate but paused. Eventually, she nodded in agreement and said, "Huh, you're actually right. That was spot-on."

"Whoa, wait," Jessica stopped her friends, waving her hands in front of them. "When did this become some analysis of our personalities? I thought we were just talking about my incident in the pitch with Wood."

The girls finished their conversation and headed to the Great Hall for dinner. By the time the hall was almost entirely packed and there were plates and goblets of food and drinks that lined the long tables, the Gryffindor Quidditch Team had only just finished their practice. Jessica saw the Weasley twins walk in first, followed by Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell, and then Oliver Wood. She didn't pay attention to who came after them because she ducked her head, wanting to avoid any awkward interactions with the fifth year captain.

 She didn't pay attention to who came after them because she ducked her head, wanting to avoid any awkward interactions with the fifth year captain

Just as Jessica was taking her last bite of food, two hands made its way to her shoulders, one on each side.

"Well, if it isn't —"

"— Jessica Hawthorne."

"What do you want?" she said, biting into the slice of steak and briefly glancing up at the third year Weasley twins.

"Aw, don't tell me you're scared of us, too," George — Jessica assumed — teased her.

"Why would I be scared of you boys?"

"Well, it did look like our little Ollie gave you a fright back there," Fred said, glancing at his team captain a few seats away who was thankfully too busy eating to notice.

"Well, your little 'Ollie' is a tad bit unnerving when he's mad," Jessica explained. "But I wasn't necessarily scared by him."

"Hold on," Fred said in realization, eyeing the blonde girl clad in Slytherin robes who happened to be in their table. Alista sometimes sat with Jessica and Bethany during meals — that is, except during feasts, other special occasions, or simply if she decided to catch up with her own housemates. "Is this the girl who gave you that scarf and caused all the trouble?"

"For your information, my name is Alista," she replied confidently. "And well, yes."

The Weasley twins burst out in laughter.

"If it makes you feel any better," said George once the laughter died down. "Oliver feels quite bad about what he did."

"Yeah," Fred backed him up. "I've never seen him look so ashamed of doing something in the name of Quidditch."