A Wish Upon A Star

LOVE. Everybody in the whole wide world seemed to believe in this word. This one little word that made no such sense and yet, brought unimaginable feelings and uncontrollable emotions. That one word can destroy or build up the destiny of any man (or woman for that matter). People seemed to treat it with such importance. But I guess that was a long, long time ago. Now, it is perceived differently than it used to be. Before, humans thought that ‘love’ is more than a simple feeling of desire. It is more than an emotion that you feel. Love is something to be cherished, respected and treated with reverence. But now, people merely view it as a passing fancy. A desire that needs to be quenched, and once it is, you can simply move on. Love is defined as a simple feeling that would soon pass by when time has cooled the emotions that it has brought up in you. It can never last; it is something that is merely temporary. 

‘Well, I couldn’t agree more!’ He thought with an angry growl.

‘Love is useless in this world, a passing fancy. Something temporary and most of all, a weakness that should be avoided.’

Roman Gold has lived all his life reminding himself those words. He might as well call it his mantra. He believes that love is worthless and is something that causes trouble; a lot of trouble. And aside from that, it also causes a lot of, “frustration”.

‘Such as the one I’m feeling now.’ He thought as he walked briskly towards his Escalade EXT with an angry scowl on his face.

“That damned idiot was really serious! I thought he was only joking me when he said he was getting married!” He growled, irritated.  

His best friend and business partner James Charme told him a few days ago that he would like to invite Gold to attend his wedding and that he is going to be the best man. He didn’t intend to take it seriously for his friend loved playing games with him so much that he could already say it was James’ pastime. But he still went to the place that James had told him to go to. He did not really need to worry much about the dress theme for he usually wore a suit and tie wherever he went, so it was quite the usual for him to attend both formal and informal occasions still wearing a suit and tie outfit.

He heard his footsteps tapping a monotone tune on the marble floors as he approached the two big wooden doors that held James’ “wedding”. And as he pushed the doors open, he half expected James to be sitting on one of the chairs and laughing up at him as he was once more tricked. But much to his shock (and absolute dismay) the place bustled with people who readied all sorts of things. Some were fixing the flowers that were lining the red carpet walkway that led all the way to the pulpit. The tables were also being fixed by a handful of young men that ran to and fro as they brought in tableware. Some young women were arranging flowers in vases as they placed it on every table. He could barely take in all that was happening around him when a voice suddenly spoke behind him, breaking his train of thought.

“Shocked to see that I wasn’t playing tricks with you, old pal?”

Gold whirled around to see James wearing a white long-sleeved polo shirt and black pants. He smiled brightly at Gold before patting his shoulders.

“It’s great to see you before the wedding. Truth to be told, I’m really nervous.” James let out a sigh before giving him an anxious smile.

Gold looked at him as if he had sprouted wings.

“Are you out of your fucking mind, James!? Oh for God’s sake, please tell me this is a dream! Please tell me this is one of your stupid jokes in an attempt to make me laugh!” He cried out pleadingly while looking at his friend whose face has turned expressionless. His friend looked at him for a long time, studying his face before answering the obvious question.