"Ummi!" I ran into her waiting arms. "I have missed you so much, Ummi." I wrapped my arms tighter around shoulders.

She pulled away and looked eerily at me. "How comes you're here? Didn't you tell me you still have three examinations and won't be returning until Saturday? What happened?"

"One question at a time, Ummi." I chuckled. "Okay, I lied to you, because I wanted to surprise you all."

She frowned. "What?"

I inwardly cringed. The last thing I wanted to do, was get on Ummi's nerves on arrival. "Aren't you happy to see me home?" I pursed up my lips. "It though you'd be." 

"Of course, I am, but you don't expect me not to ask questions." She sneered. "You didn't tell me or even your father that you were returning today. How could you? What if..." She trailed off. "This isn't acceptable, Manal. I could have come picked you up myself."

"You don't spare a chance to scold my baby, do you?"

At the sound of Abii's voice, my heart almost leapt out of its cage. I proceeded towards him and engulfed him in the tightest hug ever. I knew I missed my parents, but I didn't realize just how intensive I did, until I got to see and hug them. I didn't want to let go. I was back in my haven—a place where no one would ever be able to make me feel unloved or unwanted. I was euphoric.

Abii disentangled his arms from around me and kept them on my shoulders instead. "Assalamualaikum." He planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Wa'alaykum Salam, Abii. Surprise! I'm back. I missed you so much."

"A surprise indeed." He acceded.

"Why didn't you tell us you were returning today?" Ummi chimed in.

"Then it wouldn't have been a surprise anymore. Surprises aren't meant to be told, you know.."

"Thanks, Abii. Please tell Ummi. She's been on my case since I arrived." I faked a sob. "She hasn't even allowed me take a rest first."

"You don't know it's wrong to embark on a journey without telling your parents beforehand? Ya Allah! How did you even get home?"

By car, of course.

I wanted to say that to her, but I knew better than to do that. Ummi would just roast me alive. "Farida's brother came to pick her up. He ended up giving me a lift."

"That's a relief." She sighed. "Public transportation isn't advisable, because you don't know which communicable diseases a passenger might have."

Without mincing words, Ummi would have whooped my ass if I had gone ahead and taken public transportation, like planned.

"I wanted to surprise all of you, especially Imran, that's why I didn't tell. I'm sorry." I apologized, feeling a tad remorseful.

"Don't beat yourself to it." Abii remarked. "What's important is that she's back safely. Alhamdulillah."

"Alhamdulillah." Ummi sighed again. "Welcome home."

"Thanks, Ummi. Is Imran at home?"

"No, he took permission to visit his friend in the neighborhood. That reminds me, he has been gone for almost two hours now, I should call him." Ummi excused herself.

"Come on." Abii motioned for us to go take a seat.

He took a seat on the settee and I sat beside him.

Abii stared at me for a while, before speaking. "Is it my eyes or you've actually gotten bigger."

Hmm?