Chapter 31: Brand New

Start from the beginning

"What if they bump into some of them in Hogsmeade, though? They'd probably wonder why we aren't with them."

"Well, Harry can't go to Hogsmeade at all this year from what I've heard, so he wouldn't be an issue. As for Fred and George, they'd most likely be in Zonko's with Lee practically the entire time, which Beth and Alista rarely ever visit, anyway."

"And what about Angelina and Katie?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

Finally, the last Hogsmeade trip of the term arrived. Like it always was every December, the wizarding village was coated with white blankets of snow and icy pathways. All bundled up in thick clothing, Jessica rode the carriages to Hogsmeade with her friends.

"Where's the rest of the team?" Bethany asked as she, Jessica, and Alista stepped out of the carriage.

"I'm meeting up with them here, so you two go on without me," Jessica lied with a forced smile.

"Are you sure? We don't mind waiting with you."

"Yeah, it's fine. Oliver and uh, the Weasley twins will be here soon."

Bethany raised her eyebrows at how she stumbled over her words but decided not to dwell on it. With a shrug, she faced Alista.

"So, where should we go?" she asked the blonde.

"Gladrag's Wizardwear, please," Alista replied excitedly. "I overheard O'Connor during Arithmancy saying he needs new gloves, so I'm hoping to coincidentally bump into him."

"'Coincident', my ass," Bethany rolled her eyes. "But fine. We'll see you later, Jess."

"Bye, Jess!"

The two girls waved at Jessica and walked down the slippery road together, leaving her behind. Once she was sure they were completely out of sight and earshot, she let out a breath of relief and turned around.

"You can go out now."

"Finally," Oliver huffed, stepping out from behind a tree; he had been hiding behind it for the past ten minutes because he arrived at the station earlier. He was clad in clothes fit for the cold weather topped with a plain black jacket and his Gryffindor scarf around his neck. He struggled to get down the small slope without slipping, which made Jessica have to suppress laugh as he approached her. "I was starting to think Faye wasn't going to fall for it."

"I thought the same," Jessica said, rubbing her hands together. "So, where do we start? You're the one who asked me out on this date."

"I was thinking," Oliver began, holding onto Jessica's hand as he spoke — she was grateful that the weather made it look like her cheeks were just pink from the cold and certainly not because of his gesture. "Since Greene said they'd be going to Gladrag's, we can have Butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks first. It isn't rush hour yet, either, so we most likely won't bump into anyone."