Chapter One: Rollan

Start from the beginning

Rollan watched, puzzled that the boy had never told him and the others about it. Why would he keep away a dream from is closest friends?  He thought. 

"How was it different? Did it start differently?" Lenori said gently.

 "Yes, it started out like last time, I was standing by a towering cliff side, admiring the landscape below, when a dark shadow comes over the land. I feel a presence like nothing before, threatening,  yet I want to go near it." He said. "When I take a step towards the darkness I hear a voice,  quiet at first, but  it grows until I can make it out." Conor took a deep breath, his voice shaking. 

Lenori leaned closer. "What did it say?"

The boy shuddered. " The darkness is coming, it wants to control you with fear, and it will succeed."

Lenori looked deeply troubled,  her face a dark shadow of thought. "Anything else?"

"At the end when the dream fades, I see three figures. One is standing over a girl that looks like Meilin. The other is Rollan who is pleading the unknown figure to spare her life and take his. The figure then cry's out that this is the only way and draws a knife,  impaling him repetitively in the chest till the boy is shaking with death. I look down to see him at my feet is and freeze. His face is covered with blood, but he manages to say one word. Kaein. Then a flash of blue fire and I wake."

Rollan drew back, too stunned to think clearly. Conor's dreams always come true. He said to himself. I'm going to die!

"So, when will you tell the other three what lies ahead?" Lenori asked. "They deserve to know."

"No, I believe it is best if this stays a secret, for now." Conor declared, stroking the wolf's head. "If they know, everything might fall into place?"

"Fine, but I still believe keeping it from them is not the best choice.  Also I will look through our library one again for anything on Kaein. So far there is nothing, but maybe one final time will revel what we need."

"OK, thank you for talking with me"

"Your welcome. Tell me if it happens any time soon."

Conor stood up, Briggan following. The two went to the fire and the boy threw some water, extinguishing the flame with a hiss. It screamed with a blurr of smoke and streamed upwards.

Rollan gasped a cry and scuffed a heart tearing sob.

 The wolf then turned his large head, facing where Rollan was watching and growled. Rollan stumbled away, not wanting to be caught. He ran away, pushing into the hallway with tears leaking out of his eyes. Essix followed him, her shadow casting across the floor. Coming to the back exit, he burst through, throwing a young Greencloak guard down, who yelped with surprise. She crashed to her feet, a small bird flapping by her head. It clawed at his arm and he swatted it away with agony.  "Watch were you're going!" She screamed, but he didn't seem to hear her. Rollan's eyes were blurry with tears as he ran down the rocky hill. Essix shriek above, diving down to him in a fury of feathers. "Leave me alone!" He screamed. "You wanted me to know this!" She made me follow her, just so I can hear about my own death! WHY!

He glanced ahead and saw a tall willow, its branches reaching for him. Coming underneath it, Rollan looked around and saw the valley below, the green hills rolling with life, the ocean just beyond. To his right the docking area was alive with ships pulling in and out. The smell of saltwater caught in his nose and he sobbed harder.

Blinking away all happiness, he crouched and leaned against the rough bark. It scrapped his flesh and felt like small stings of nettle. Through the sadness, the boy remembered Meilin. This is her favorite spot when we had time alone after the last war. He thought, thinking back to the times he found her sitting under the tree watching the sun set. They would be together for hours, only talking about what they hoped for the future." No war. No pain. A new life. A new beginning. "You know life is special?" She would ask. "It might keep us down sometimes, or threaten our existence, but it always has surprises at the end." He would smile and draw he close, breathing in her scent and smell of panda that lingered in her hair. "We could be together? Just you and me." She punched his shoulder. "We are fourteen! Check back with me later." Meilin rethought her words, then hugged him. "I would love that. If it were to happen."

"But it could,  if we would like?" He spoke.

"Just you, me, Jhi, and Essix. Living away from battle and danger."

"Just imagine, we could move to Zhong and start a separate life."

"Leave the Greencloaks?"

"If we must. Just get away, have a break from the world. A time to relax and-"

"You know if we were too leave, Zerif would somehow come back to life? Or Song? It would last for a few moment, then we would have to take back up our cloaks and fight."

"No, we would get replacements for ourselves. Fake us, only they aren't as good looking as the real ones." He joked and she swattered him. 

"Lying to our friends? Not a great idea. One second we are doing fine, and the next you are in the middle of an endless fire. Truth is the best option, use it wisely."

"Since when have you been an expert on reasoning with the truth? Last time I checked you-"

Meilin smacked the back of his head and he shut his mouth, laughing when she blushed. 

"You can't hide from the truth, it will find you, and when it does, the world will fall around you when you least expect it to." The girl said.

"You are so positive today." He giggled, while she scowled.

"You just watch, everything will fall into motion. You might hide it, but keeping something like that will only edge on fate, it catches up sooner or later. The future doesn't wait for you to figure out your problems, it throws them on the table and lets everyone suffer."

Rollan turned the not-so-joyful quote on his mind. "Conor might keep it from us today, but he will one day know that life doesn't wait for the future." He looked up at the soaring Essix, her wings shinning in the sun. The bird's beaded eyes watched him, somehow saying when he was thinking without speaking.

"It makes it happen when we least expect." He said out loud and she went higher, nearly disappearing into the incoming clouds. Her form was fuzzy in the flashes of lightning. 

The only answer he got was a boom of thunder in the distance, echoing up the hills. A storm was approaching and he felt as if it also symbolized something to come. Something he couldn't yet see. Just beyond his vision. His life was about to change and it had to do something with that dream.