Chapter Thirteen: Abeke

A HUNTER'S WILL

Abeke couldn't move. Her limbs were frozen to the ground in pure horror. Her leg had been reopened in the attack and blood spilled over the grass, staining everything red. She screamed and tried to stand, but was forced to watch Conor disappear over the horizon. What is he doing!? Where's he going! Her mind yelled and pushed back at her weakness. Go after him!

Trying to stand once more, she wobbled on one leg, then shook, falling with a scream that sounded far away. She felt useless. Worthy ran over to Abeke and held her down as she struggled in his grip. She looked up into his worried glaze and stopped moving.

"Go after him. Please, you have to." She begged.

"There would be no way I could catch up to him in my state." Worthy said letting go of her and running his hand over his torn face. "None of us are fit to go after him." He pointed with a claw.

Her heart felt as if it had been ripped out, nothing left. She had lost too much since joining the Greencloaks, she couldn't bare to think what it would be like to lose Conor. He will come back, I know he will because he is loyal to us and would never leave me. She thought.

She flipped around to see Laren placing leaves all over Rain's body, her face was stony as she worked. Scarlet lined the area around them like a sea of death, wanting to swallow them all in its depths. The girl finished, then brought the rest to dress Abeke's leg again. She lay them over the wound and sighed.

"I don't know if we are going to make it. Rain is going to die if we don't get help soon and you might lose this leg if not careful. Camp is still a good distance away."

"We only have to hope we make it in time." She said and grimaced as another leaf was laid. "That is all we have."

Worthy nodded and stood up, his red cloak trailing behind. He went over to the wolf's carcass and drew the spear out soundlessly. For a few moments he stood, unmoving, his breath jagged, a fear creeping over him. He twitched and his hands balled into fists. Then he sliced off one of the front paws and used the spear to dig out everyone of its long front claws. When he was finished, he brought them over to Abeke and Laren.

"Might not be a knife, but these will do." He said. "If we are going to make it to the safety of the camp, we need a way to defend ourselves."

Abeke grabbed one and felt the weight in her hand, it was oddly comforting. She ran a finger over the end and felt blood draw. It will do if she was going to survive. She had to survive.

Pain crashed into her as her leg lit up and she cried out. Laren had put pressure onto her lower leg, away from the wound. "You can feel that? Good, just making sure you haven't lost all feeling in your leg."

Abeke's eyes blotched with spots and she felt her breathing slow. A mist clouded over and she fell back into the arms of Laren. She tried to climb out of the darkness, but her mind slipped and she fell deeper.

.    .    .

Abeke rolled onto her side, watching the sky. Her head beat with pain while her leg was numb. Conor running away was still fresh in her mind and she groaned. Where was he now?

"You're awake!" Worthy shouted, startling her as he sprinted over.

"How long have I been out?" She asked.

"At least five hours." He responded, squatting in front of her. His face was cold with expression as his tail lay limply around his legs. He looked at her for a while, then pointed at Laren who was sitting crossed legged beside Rain. "Rain won't wake and Laren says she might not make it."