HAPPENSTANCE

Happenstance. a doctor who oneshot

A/N I based this AU off the idea that Rose and the Doctor were never reunited in season 4 and it is set within the area of the season 4 specials :) x

- • -

The time lord's hearts froze for a moment, his entire body ceasing to move as if to do so would cause the moment to shatter into oblivion.

Starlight danced across the sky, familiar constellations joined together to form vague shapes above his head. Trees had lost their blankets of green, standing on barren ground unsheathed to the elements. A crisp breeze carried faded scents of sweet grass, dewdrops and the last remnants of the spring days that had escaped the oncoming bite of the winter months and the hum of nocturnal life sung symphonies throughout the night.

All that surrounded him was not important; not anymore. There were countless planets within immeasurable galaxies contained in infinite universes and of all the places in all of space and time, he had come across the thing that made his muscles freeze and speech flee from forming into sound.

Silver light from the celestial bodies above painted her blonde hair almost white and shadows played at her feet; a soft copy of herself attached at her heels. Her shadow was not looking at him and neither was she. His presence was still unknown and to him, the idea of her presence eluded his mind, unsure to exactly how she could be in front of him.

He had lost her many years ago; trapped in an unreachable universe. She was further away than fragile minds could fathom and each day without her had been just as unfathomable. There were some days when he thought about just not continuing but each and every day he somehow pulled through; almost forgetting about the one he lost.

The time lord's hearts picked up from the beats they had skipped, his mouth moved to form words although each time he tried no sound came out. It was if his tongue had become stone; no syllables could be spoken.

In front of him, she shifted slightly. She was just standing there; in the middle of the bare woods, eyes trained on the sky above and mind obviously wondering. He didn't want to spoil her peace although he had already gone too far; they were within the confines of the same universe once more the thought of exactly how that was true evaded his stumbling mind. There was a scientific reason behind everything but for that little while, happenstance would be a suffice explanation.

His feet shuffled lightly to the right and without even thinking, his toes fell upon a brittle frostbitten twig, snapping the fragile thing within an instant.

His hearts proceeded to accelerate with both fear and excitement as the noise caused the girl with starlight hair to turn around.

Her eyes were unchanged, still their mix between brown and green although not exactly of the hazel hue. They reflected the sky dancing above their heads and when they landed upon him, she only blinked thrice as if in disbelief.

Lips shaped as if they were sculpted by the gods, parted as her jaw became slack. He could see the way she held her breath; undergoing a moment similar to what he had encountered just prior.

He wanted to run, both towards her and away from her but when his name slipped off her lips, his mind simultaneously melted at the sound and decided on the latter option.

"Doctor?" her voice was doubtful but still contained the delightful quirks and the way she strung syllables perfectly together in her own vocal melodies.

His tongue was still stone, refusing to move although a smile - a smile that had not bloomed on his face since her departure - slowly melted into existence upon his lips.