Edmund slipped upstairs and pressed his ear against the door.

"Tell me, Sir Bernard, when are you planning to return your debts?"

"Please, spare me. I will return them, I promise," Sir Bernard whispered hoarsely.

"If you don't pay up, I will seize your assets," the owner drawled. "Surely you don't want that to happen?"

"Yes, yes," Sir Bernard said quickly.

"I will give you five days. Come back here with the money or your little pussy head will be chopped off," the owner hissed.

Edmund withdrew into the shadows as the door clicked open and Sir Bernard emerged with a dazed look on his face.

The moment he disappeared, Edmund knocked on the door thrice and opened it.

"Who is it?"

"It's me, Earl Aughust." Edmund withdrew his hood.

"Why, why, Edmund, I thought you weren't going to show up. I'm still surprised that you remember me."

"Greetings, Caroline."

"What brings you here, charming earl?" Caroline sauntered up to him.

Tall, blonde and immensely seductive, there was something almost predatory about Caroline.

Edmund still didn't know what to make of her despite having known her for years. He was the one who saved her from death. She was left bruised and bleeding on the streets after being turned out by a whorehouse and he happened to chance upon her.

Years had passed and over time, she truimphed fate to become the owner of a lucrative gambling den.

"I'm here to recollect the favour you owe me," Edmund said slowly.

"It's about time." Caroline smiled. "I suppose you followed that rat here."

"I'm assuming you mean Sir Bernard?"

"Who else could be a rodent?" Caroline rolled her eyes. "Why are you concerned about him anyway?"

"Have you heard of the Ouroboros clan?" Edmund took out the signet ring and held it up.

Caroline stared at it. "Why do you ask?" she asked slowly.

"I can't tell you because there's a whole lot at stake here," he replied. "You owe me this much." "True." Caroline took out a cigarette and lighted it up, puffing huge clouds of smoke. "I was a part of that organization once."

"Tell me everything," Edmund demanded.

"I was once the most popular whore, as you know clearly well." Her eyes glinted. "When one day, I heard that a powerful organization was recruiting members. I joined it, lured by the power. But of course, I only made it as an underling and I eventually got expelled for going against orders."

Edmund raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"You're still as curious as usual." Caroline snorted. "They wanted me to amass some people to smuggle diamonds out of the country."

"Come again?" Edmund stepped towards her. "Why didn't you tell me this when you first met me?"

"Because it was a part of my seedy past," Caroline snapped, her temper flaring for the first time. "I always wanted to erase that filthy part so when I had the chance, I did it. I never mentioned it to anyone."

"What was the purpose of the clan then?" Edmund wrinkled his eyebrows. "Money? Power?"

"More like revenge," Caroline laughed. "The British empire defeated the French at that time and the clan tried to attack Britain in its small, powerless ways."

"A French sympathizer clan then," Edmund gritted through his teeth. "Why were you in it? Do you not know the punishment for treason is execution?"

"Silly boy. Most of the members didn't care about betraying their own country. They were just people like me, trying to absorb some of the clan's power and wanting to have some fun. Only the leaders of the organization cared about the goals."

"Who are the leaders?"

"Edmund," she sighed. "I was only a worthless underling. Besides, no one knew the identities of the leaders except the leaders themselves."

"But what does Juliet got to do with it?" Edmund mumured to himself.

Caroline cocked her head to the side. "Has this got to do with that girl then? I was wondering why you're so devoted to Captain Jack's mission."

"How did you know about Captain Jack?" Edmund hissed.

"Darling," Caroline laughed. "Do you honestly think I would not know that Pierre's a spy?"

"As usual, nothing escapes the eye of the famous Caroline," he added wryly.

"Well, well." Caroline leant forward.

"By the way, I never got to congratulate on your engagement. The monk finally gets engaged," she chuckled.

"I'm not a monk."

"If you're a man, you would have long been in my bed. Why do you continuously resist my advances then?" Caroline placed a hand on his shoulder and leant forward to press herself against him. "Are you truly immune to my charms?" she whispered into his ear.

"Stop it." Edmund flicked her off. "I haven't had a change of heart since I first rejected you. And my intentions have not changed."

"I've seen that girl." Caroline stared at him, unperturbed by his rejection. "She's pretty plain compared to that sister of hers. Why would you choose her over me?"

"Caroline, we've been through this countless of times," Edmund said, exasperated. "I don't love you. I care for you but as a friend. For a fairly intuitive woman, you can't seem to pick up my rejection very well."

"Maybe it's because I'm hopelessly in love," Caroline said wistfully. "Love brings delusions to people."

"Please, stop this nonsense." Edmund got up. "I'm leaving."

"Fine, suit yourself." Caroline changed back to her haughty self. "I don't what game Captain Jack and you are playing but I will find out sooner or later."

"I don't doubt it.' Edmund stepped out of the room and Caroline leant against the doorframe.

"Will I see you again?" she asked in that melodious voice of hers.

"Perhaps." Edmund nodded and turned away. Just as he was about to walk down the stairs, she stopped him.

"Hang on. Is your fiancee from the Rosewood family?" Caroline asked. "Yes."

"Is she...alright?"

"Yes." Edmund stared at her suspiciously. "Why?"

"Nothing." Caroline shook her head and stared into his green eyes. "Just remember, the Ouroboros clan will always finish what has been left unfinished."

With that, she went back to her room and slammed the door shut.