The Elementals-Chapter 1

Hey!  I'm Nelly, and this is basically a prologue of what's to come.  let me know if you like it!

Thanks<3

I stared blankly into the void that was my locker.  I had one science book, a torn copy of Huckleberry Finn, two different math books, a terribly scorched detention slip, and about 7 empty cans of Arizona Tea.  I never used my locker, I carried my books around with me everywhere in my messenger bag, prepared  to make a quick escape if need be.  Colors of orange and red swirled around vaguely in my eyes as I stared in the dark corners of the metal.  Orange dominated my life.  Mainly my hair.

"Hey."

I snapped out of my fantasy world and turned to Jackson.  Jackson has messy black hair, dark skin, blue eyes, and he is about 6'1.  He is also my one and only friend.  I slammed my locker closed, leaned back against it, and stared at him with a face that seemed to shout out "Don't you dare say a word."  He smiled at me, getting my signals loud and clear.  We continued down the hallway towards class 202; Chemistry.  I always seem to get in trouble with the teacher.  I suppose we hated each other.  Jackson and I sat down at the lab table farthest away from the white board.  We were doing experiments today.

Ever since I can remember, I haven't been like everyone else.  I can't really explain it, but I've been different.  In attitude, in looks, in speech, and now, suddenly, different in such a way that I could have never imagined.

As we set up our bunson burners, our test tubes, and our chemicals, I heaved a sigh of exhaustion and annoyance.  Nothing good came out of the last science experiment.  I had Jackson set up the burner, and he asked me to pour the chemical components into the test tube.  I agreed reluctantly.

I poured one, two, three, four-I spilled some of the fourth component on my finger and I felt the stinging immediately.  I squeak with pain.

"You ok there, Amber?" Jackson grabbed my shoulder.  I jumped.  "Amber... Am, what's going on..?" He was staring at my finger tips.  I felt a surge of heat go through me.

Oh no.  Not again.

I knew this feeling.  I've felt this before. 

"Amber!" The teacher shrieked as my hand became engulfed in flames.  I stared down at the orange and red, purple and blue flames that licked my fingers.  It extended up my arms, around my torso.  Before I knew it, I was completely covered with beautiful, brightly colored flames.  It didn't hurt.

It felt good.  I felt under control.

I fell to my knees as cold water splashed all over me.  It burned.  The water burned my skin; it hurt as it dripped off.  I screamed with pain. 

"AMBER!" I heard Jacksons voice in the distance. "Amber it's gonna be ok..."

Everything went black.

When I woke up, I was in white hospital in a white hospital bed with a white hospital gown on.  As the fogginess cleared from my eyes, I saw a boy who looked to be my age, about 18, wearing a deep red jacket sitting by my bedside, smiling a seemingly cynical smile. 

He was beautiful.

"Who are you...? What happened to me..?" I asked groggily.

"Hello, darling.  I'm here to protect you." He whispered.

His eyes were orange.

 ______________________________________________________________________________