Chapter 8

"It doesn't matter." Hope said, looking at Klaus, despite the fact that her wound healed faster than it would for any vampire or werewolf. It was better that he didn't know. Her wound was now already fully healed, and her heartbeat was easily strong again. "I'll, uh, go clean up the blood" Her blood didn't even smell fully human.

Klaus blinked slowly as he watched her go. For a second he actually debated getting back to his task but as he caught the scent of her blood he knew he couldn't do that. Clearly there was something going on here. Something he needed to figure out. "Watch Elena." He mumbled absentmindedly to Rebekah before quickly following after Hope. "It does matter." He said speeding in front of her, stopping her in her place. "What are you? Clearly not a witch."

She couldn't be. No witch could heal that fast. She hadn't even performed a spell anyway.

"It has no impact on what you are doing so it doesn't matter." Hope said, looking at him. "I just want to help you and figure out the spell that put me in Stefan's room in Chicago and reverse engineer it so I can fix my situation. That's all. If I tell you what I am...."

Hope shook her head and sighed softly. Everything would change. She might not even be born. Or the twins wouldn't be. The school might not be created.  She might never get to meet the boy she loves so much. There was too much at stake. And she was stupid enough to stay. She sighed sadly.

Klaus frowned as he listened to her, slowly becoming more confused the more she spoke. He didn't like not knowing things, and it seemed this girl was determined to keep the truth from him. "It matters to me." He finally said. "Look. I am pleased you are actually helping me. Not many would. In fact, close to no one would. But there's something you are obviously hiding. I'm not asking for your life story. I am simply asking you a question. One that shouldn't be different to answer unless what you are hiding does in fact affect me."

He had no idea how much it affected him, Hope thought a little. She was silent as she considered her options. She could show him she was a werewolf. Hope that was enough to keep him from finding out she was a tribrid. His daughter. If she didn't, she might mess things up further. Distract him from what he needed to do. He might do his best to figure it out and somehow come up with the right solution. If she chose a partial truth..... perhaps the consequences wouldn't be so bad. She closed her eyes for a moment before opening them again, her eyes a werewolf gold with amber highlights.

Klaus inhaled sharply when he saw her eyes. "You're...you're a hybrid." He whispered staring at her in disbelief. "How..."

He shook his head. It seemed impossible. Though he supposed it also seemed impossible to other people when one spoke of a werewolf and vampire hybrid. Suddenly a lot made sense however. Why she wanted to help him. How could she not when she too understood the pain of being cast aside for being different?

Tribrid, Hope corrected silently but didn't dare say aloud. It was already dangerous enough showing him she was a, as Landon and Kaleb had put it, a were-witch. If he knew the full truth, everything could be different. She nodded a little. "I am" she said softly. "I triggered the werewolf gene a few years ago, and I've been practicing magic my whole life"

Klaus smiled a little, feeling an inexplicable sense of delight. He never came close to meeting anyone that truly under stood him. Hope seemed to, but he never knew why until now. She was like him.

"I suppose everything makes sense now." He mumbled. "I was confused on why you were interested in helping me. Especially as a witch. But now that I know what you truly are, I understand. We are alike you and I. Different from the rest of the world."

Hope nodded a little at his words. Her reasons for helping him were more personal and complicated than what he thought. "Yes we are. I know how it feels to be the only one of your kind." Difference is, she couldn't exactly make someone a tribrid. Even if she wanted to. She could make hybrids. Or heretics, she supposed, but not tribrids. "To not feel like you truly belong. Not with the vampires. Not with the werewolves. Not with the witches." She looked down slightly before looking back at him.

Klaus gave her a small nod, knowing all too well what she was talking about. "I know the feeling." He said softly, looking at her once more. It was the way he felt his entire life. "Try not even belonging in your own family." He mumbled not even knowing why the words came out of his mouth. It wasn't anything he ever said out loud, but it appeared Hope inspired trust in him. Something that was quite strange, but not necessarily a bad thing. "I currently have four siblings. However, as you may have guessed, they are only my half siblings. Ever since I discovered that, nothing has ever been the same. They all act like it is, but that is all it is. An act. To not anger or offend me. Now that I've broken my curse, the truth is even clearer. At least before, I could...pretend. For a second. Now, each time I turn into a werewolf, it is a constant reminder that I am different from them."

"For a long time, I felt like I was a cosmic mistake" Hope said after a moment, despite her mind screaming at her to shut up. "Someone who should have never been born. And the more things messed up because of me, the firmer the belief became, despite my family's assurances otherwise. But... recently that's changed. I no longer believe I'm a mistake. We both exist for a reason" Her reason just seemed to be to tear her family apart and then kill Malivore. She thought, a little bitter. Her reason for existing was to die.

Klaus managed a small smile at her words. He supposed that was the ultimate thing to believe in. Trying to make himself know that he hadn't been a mistake or an abomination. "Well. That's the goal I guess.
To eventually live life with that knowledge and never doubt it. That is always easier said than done, however, if you were to ask for my opinion, I wouldn't consider you a mistake. Someone who..." He paused and looked away from her then. "I trust you. I do not trust many people, if any, but I trust you.
And I refuse to believe that the only person I trust in the world is nothing more than a cosmic mistake simply because of the one thing that makes her similar to me."

Hope gave him a small smile. It warmed her heart that he believed that without even knowing she was his daughter. It was impossible to doubt it when you find your reason for existing. To destroy Malivore.
But of course, she couldn't say that.

"I trust you too" she said sincerely as she looked at him. "And I dont trust many people. You should probably go finish getting Elena's blood and testing it. I'll clean up the blood I lost" she sighed softly.

Klaus' smile widened slightly at the mention of her trusting him. It wasn't a sentence he ever really heard except once or twice in the past one thousand years. However he couldn't let himself get too distracted by it. He needed to stay focused on his goal.

"Right. I will see you in a second." He said before heading back towards the living room.  

Hope got stuff to clean up the blood and went to clean it. She glanced over at Damon's unconscious form thoughtfully, wondering when she should wake him. After Tyler was turned probably. She looked down and continued cleaning up the blood. Fortunately there wasnt a good enough spell to clean things up. This wasnt Harry Potter.