Chapter 30: Gryffindor Courage

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," Hermione beamed at her as she handed Harry his glasses.

"Brilliant!" Oliver said gratefully to the third year girl just as she ran back out into the crowd. "Okay, team, let's go for it!"

They dove back into the game with even more adrenaline running through their veins. Jessica and the other Chasers were ruthless in an attempt to keep the gap between them and Hufflepuff as far as possible. Oliver blocked almost every goal that their opponents tried to shoot. Fred and George aimed the Bludgers at them as well, hoping to throw them off. As for Harry, he had finally spotted the Golden Snitch. However, Cedric had seen it first and was already zooming upwards. With a newfound determination, Harry raced after him.

The two Seekers flew higher and higher into the air, eventually becoming neck and neck with each other

The two Seekers flew higher and higher into the air, eventually becoming neck and neck with each other. They could both see the tiny, shiny gold ball fluttering just within their reach. But just as Harry had neared it, a horrible, cold sensation swept over him.

And then he saw them: the faceless, hooded, black dementors. Harry barely had time to process why they had managed to enter the grounds in the first place because they were suddenly swarming him and sucking all the life out of him. He was starting to grow faint and could even hear pained voices at the back of his mind, screaming for mercy... and before he knew it, he was out.

Jessica had just scored a goal when screams of panic echoed throughout the Quidditch pitch. She turned around frantically, wondering what was happening, and then she noticed that everyone was pointing at the sky. She looked up and gasped — Harry had fallen off of his broom and was plummeting towards the ground at a frightening speed, looking limp like a rag doll. She pulled her broom to a stop, but she had no idea what she and her teammates were supposed to do now.

Just when she thought things were going to take a turn for the worse, Dumbledore shouted, "Arresto momentum!"

★ ★ ★

"He looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" said Ron. He, Hermione, the Gryffindor Quidditch Team, and even Neville, Dean, and Seamus were all surrounding Harry's bed in the hospital wing. The rain had stopped, but the skies were still dark as they waited for him to finally wake up.

"Peaky? What do you expect?" Fred scoffed.

"He fell over a hundred feet!" George said.

"Yeah, come on, Ron. Let's walk you off the Astronomy Tower —"

"— and see what you look like!"

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does," Harry mumbled, his eyes slowly opening. Everyone chuckled at how he managed to crack a joke even in his state.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked him as he sat up.

"Oh, brilliant."

"You gave us a right good scare there, mate," Fred told him.