Part Ten: Sang

I sat down with the Anderson family as the sun set. Mr Blackbourne had left a while ago and I’d been trying to control my level of nervousness around the almost strangers.

It had been a lovely few hours, with the five of them trying to make me as comfortable as possible. I’d taken to Jackson immediately because he reminded me so much of Luke though they looked nothing alike. Luke was my blonde angel and Jackson was as tall and dark as Silas.

Adam came bustling through the dining room door and set a large plate in front of me. My eyes bugged out at the serve of the meal; they’d given me some sort of beef dish, mashed potatoes and a generous helping of steamed vegetables.

I poked at my teeth, worried to insult them by not being able to finish the entire meal.

“Dear Lord, Adam, what are you trying to do? Make the poor girl explode?”

I sent a grateful glance towards Melissa and she sent me a smile in return.

“Don’t worry, if you can’t eat it all. I rarely do, and even after years together, they still fill my plate as much as their own.”

The men all laughed and added their reassurances.

I even saw Adam send me a sheepish grin, “Sorry, Little Miss. Didn’t want you to go hungry.”

“I think this would feed me for a week,” I joked.

They all joined in on teasing the sweet guy before settling down to a wonderful meal.

I filled up as much as I could, certain that they would report back to Mr Blackbourne about my eating portions.

I offered to wash the dishes but they all waved me off and Melissa got up to lead me into a small room that I hadn’t noticed off the living room. It was beautifully decorated and screamed ‘woman's territory’.

She led me over to a Victorian style table and chair set and had me perch across from her.

“This is my private room. The boys get their shed and I get this. They won’t come in unless their invited.”

I was awed by how much they valued her within their team. To give her a whole room just so she could sit in privacy? At the moment I didn’t like to be left alone but maybe when I fully recovered I could negotiate some similar boundaries with the guys. I mean I loved how they all made themselves fit within my new room at Nathan’s but after his confession, Id begun to take notice of things we all did together that outsiders might see as inappropriate. Like kissing Sean and biting North when their friend had told me I owned his heart.

Something of my conflicted thoughts must’ve shown on my face because Melissa started talking again, “Hmm, I know that look. Bet you’re thinking about that family of boys of yours.”

I blushed and she chuckled, “Let me guess, they’ve got you tied up in knots and you don’t which way to turn?”