26 | we used to know

Music in media: Make Us by KINGDOM

Aomine Himari has never been happier. She's unable to contain her chortles and now chants "Fu-jo-shi! Fu-jo-shi!" together with her co-workers, one of whom removes his shirt and swings it lasso-like, prompting stares from the crowd. Catching sight of me, she links arms and cries, perhaps in a drunken stupor, "The Fujoshi Hypothesis is a success! Ho-Oh is a fujoshi!"

Now, hold it right there! Is this what you should be paying attention to? A false and forced assumption of Ho-Oh's identity?

Fortunately, one of her lackeys has better sense than her and diverts her focus to the blazing Ivory Tower. Her pupils dilate till they take in the whole world, almost turning her eyes white from the exertion. The others in their ragtag group, still rife with excitement, fail to notice the darkening atmosphere around them, raising their voices again and again until every head in Enju swivels their way to hear the most impressive breakthrough in the Pokémon World, something that puts even the renowned Professor Oak, the first professor to exist in modern times, to shame.

"Ho-Oh has answered our hypothesis!" They make random gestures and salutations between each line. "Ho-Oh is a fujoshi! Our yaoi was a success!"

Woah, seems like someone can't tell apart shounen ai and yaoi, which perhaps may be the reason why they are in a bubble of their own, a bubble that can do little to extinguish the flames devouring their hard work, if it really is the painstaking effort that took them this far, a bubble that when popped is no different from the last gasp of a widower.

As if things couldn't get more intense from the heat spreading voraciously through the night air, an old woman appears out of nowhere, pours a bucket of cold water, fresh with pieces of Never Melt Ice, over their heads, screaming and unyielding to the abhorrent sacrilege clouding the minds of all these numbskulls. While the monks, alongside Captain McSteroids and Four-Punch Man, dash to the conflagration with pails of water, the Kimono Girls command their Eeveelutions masterfully to control the blaze, the best of whom is ingenious Satsuki-han and her use of her Flareon's Flash Fire ability to absorb the blaze, making progress faster than any Water-type could quench the flames. The owners of the Ivory Tower still think this is Ho-Oh's idea of a late Christmas gift in thanks.

Yet the fire remains obstinate, perhaps wishing to deliver full comeuppance against the Ivory Tower's blasphemous existence, and Ho-Oh makes a detour to perch atop the melting Smeargle jacquemart, the carillon succumbing to the rising temperatures.

Meanwhile, the bois, Meta and I are just recovering from the aftershock of a Ho-Oh's Double Team masquerading as a mortal by wearing an inflatable human suit. I mean, what in the heck? This is some next level stalking! Still, we run past the ignorant bunch (Okaasan and I lock eyes for a second, and I see all the fear and fancy spill out of her being) to support the firefighting crowd.

Matsuba, Kaspar and Hayato release their Pokémon to increase the amount of water gushing over the flames just as Rae and her friends enter the fray. Meta looks at me, switches to the Ivory Tower, then back at me again.

"Pinch me," he says.

"I don't think that's as important as the fire in front of us?" I pinch him anyway. "Better?"

"Uh-huh." Meta traces the floors with his eyes. "This is perfect."

"As much as I hate them, they are humans and their livelihoods will be ruined." I pat his back. "Can you turn into some epic Pokémon?"

"Will an Earthquake do the job?"

"That's drastic and people will die from the collapse. No thanks. A Water-type? Rain Dance?"