a dream come true

Start from the beginning

I read her facial expression quickly, "You did." She nodded, "Did you tell her that the only thing I haven't been able to find out is if he is a Christian?"

"I think I mentioned it. According to mom, he is a dream come true for one of us." Katie continued to put her eyeshadow on, then paused and twirled the brush around, "Oh, have I mentioned dad surprised us a lot by saying that he had met him? He hasn't given us any details though. Each of us girls at the house has tried to ask questions about Charles but dad still won't reveal anything. It has been driving mom crazy! I'm surprised she didn't call and ask you to try and get info out of dad cause you are his favorite."

I nodded my head, things starting to make sense now, "Yes, she did call me many, many times to see if I would ask dad about Charles, but I had no idea what she was talking about. She didn't even explain what she wanted me to ask dad, instead, she got frustrated and started complaining about her 'poor nerves."

Mary looked up from doing her makeup, ''That sounds like our mom.''

"She thinks one of us should grab him. Mom is hooked on him." My youngest sister, Lydia, said with her normal sassy voice.

"Lydia we all know that. Is it not obvious?" I walked over to where Lydia was sitting on her phone, my dress swishing as I moved. I picked up the hot wand and twisted some of my brown shoulder-length hair around the barrel to curl a section I had missed earlier, then looked at my youngest sister. "You do realize that we are supposed to be leaving in fifteen minutes right?" 

Half of her hair was uncurled while the other half had been curled and heavily hair-sprayed. She slowly set her phone down on her lap and looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

Woah. Those hadn't been there five seconds ago.

In a small voice, Lydia said, "Grant just broke up with me. He said that I wasn't mature enough."

I pulled the wand out of my hair and put it in Lydia's outstretched hand. I glanced at my twin sister, Jane, who is a smart blonde. We think alike on some things and this was one of them. 

Of course, Lydia was immature, but she would throw a fit if I said that.

"How long have y'all been dating?" I asked.

Lydia sniffled out, "Tomorrow would have been two weeks."

Mhm.

Knowing Lydia, it wouldn't be worth it to comfort her because she would be over him by tonight. Nor would she even listen to me given my history with guys. 

Lydia despairs of me when it comes to dating. The only reason I would go out with a person a second or third time is if I thought I could marry him. It's old-fashioned to think that, but I don't want to be the girl that has been with everybody. I want to be special because I will not be with just anybody. Lydia and Katie, Lydia especially, on the other hand, go through guys super-fast.

Thankfully, Jane helped me out, "Well Lydia, I think that you are okay without him, even if it takes you a couple of weeks. We will be at the charity gala tonight, and Charles will be there! Maybe you and he can hit it off."

"Maybe," Lydia conceded as she batted away some tears and I sprayed my hair. "I hope he is as hot as his pictures." She raised her voice so all four of us could hear her. "Girls, I think he will go for me if he has any sense at all. Assuming that he is hot. If he makes the stupid mistake of liking one of you though, I will not sabotage it." She delicately lifted her shoulder and smiled, then turned back to finish primping. All thoughts of the newest guy, Grant forgot.

Once again, she proves it is hard to believe we were raised under the same roof. Granted she is mom's little princess, even though she is 21 now.

"Are we ready for pictures?" Jane asked, "After all, we all look amazing."

That was true, all of us did look amazing. Of course, I would have liked to have changed Katie and Lydia's dresses for the evening to make them not quite so exposed, but, oh well.

Mary's dark brown eyes were framed by her black glasses which showed off splendidly with her black knee-length dress.

Jane's dress was a stunning royal blue lace that brought out her blue eyes. Its neckline was a wide v that extended to the edge of the shoulders. The dress was gathered at the waist and then flowed down to the floor. Almost anything looks good on Jane, she should be a model besides helping to run our event planning/design business.

I had on a maxi dress that was light pink satin on the bottom part, but above my waist, it had delicate champagne sequins. One of my favorite things about the dress is that it has pockets. The champagne sequins came up to my neck and went around it in a halterneck style, leaving most of my shoulders bare. 

Most of my scar was covered up by my shoulder-length brown hair, but not all of it, especially if I turned my head a certain way. I was okay with it being exposed now. 

At the very least, it was a conversation starter. Except, most people don't feel comfortable asking someone about a scar on first acquaintance.