Put a Ring On It

[Originally I was planning on writing this one as a Patty/Erin piece, but honestly there is no way that such piece of jewelry would go unnoticed by Patty for an entire morning. As for Abby, I really think if it were up to her to realize by herself, Erin would be facing the prospect of at least a week of sheer anxiety, "because I can't just take the ring back now, can I? It's been 4 days! But then again she really won't notice and she sleeps like a rock.."

The idea of writing a Patty/Erin engagement story isn't out of the table, though. I got my mind stuck on this headcanon of mine that Erin would be stressing herself a lot while planning the proposal because should she get down on one knee?? Or should she not????? Because I mean, Patty is really really tall so maybe it's not such a good idea, but damn it, she's such a sucker for romance!! And when the time comes and she does get down on one knee and then has to angle up her head a full 90° to look at her girlfriend's face, she realizes This Was A Mistake.]

Abby stops talking, mid-word, as her eyebrows slowly furrow in confusion at Patty's gaping expression. At the interruption, Holtzmann's eyes finally leave the papers Abby had been presenting to her, only to look up at her colleague, before following her eye sight and turning around to face Patty, who still had fixated wide eyes and a fallen jaw.

Letting out another loud gasp, this time with the hint of a smile creeping up on her face, Patty approaches Abby's desk, clapping, "When were you planning on telling us the big news, Mrs Big Fancy Lady?"
Abby pauses, "What?"
"C'mon, girl!", the historian hollers with a beam, "Flaunt us that ring!"

A frown, "What?"
"Quit joking around, babygirl, c'mon, lemme see that thing!"

Before Abby can let out a third 'What?', Patty's got her hand in her own grasp, her eyes trained on the shiny ring placed on her finger. And that's when Abby's eyes finally focus on the subject of matter; and, needless to say, she's left speechless.

Patty's roaring, gleeful laugh fills the room, "Oh, my good Lord! Okay, you know I wanna hear everything, man, fill me in. How did it go down? How're you feelin', man? God, isn't that shiny!"
Just like that, the blonde engineer is creeping up on them with itchy fingers and a manic grin plastered on her face, "Abby, holy moly, it's big and shiny. How did I miss it before? I love big and shiny."
Patty rolls her eyes, "Of course you do, you're like an alley cat."
Wink, "Meowza."

It takes the duo a moment to first realize that Abby still hasn't moved a muscle. And when they do realize, the two ghostbusters are quick to share a look; Abby isn't easily left speechless.

Holtzmann rests a careful hand on her friend's shoulder, "Abbers? You oak nuggins?"
"I- uh... Oh."
Patty sighs, "Oh, damn. Did we just put you on the spot? Was this supposed to be sum' kind of surprise? We can always pretend that-"
"Guys", Abby takes the floor. She is shaking and slightly pale, "I have a confession to make."

Jillian grins, "Abby Dabby, if this is about your engagement, I hate to break it to you, but the cards are out there."
Abby rapidly nods, as her heart does flips and turns, "Yeah, well, not for me."

Pause.

Jillian frowns, "What do you mean?"

Another pause.

"I have no idea how that ring got on there."

A third pause.

And it's Patty's turn to frown, "Well, obviously, Erin put it on there", she frowns deeper, "Right?"
Abby shrugs, dumbfounded.
And Patty repeats, "Right?"
"Not on my watch", the brunette manages to mumble out, getting once again lost on the mystery ring on her finger.