chapter twenty three

twenty three
"don't go breaking my heart"

—

THE MAN DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING else to the couple, and then pointed towards two microphones resting on the wooden table beside the stage. Lynn once again squealed in excitement, and then grabbed a mic while jumping onto the black, shiny stage.

   Buck shook his head as his tall body entered the stage, and just a bit of nervousness riddled in the back of his throat. But he quickly shoved that all away when he saw just how happy Lynn seemed to be.

   The two stood there together for a second, before hearing a song starting to echo over the speakers. They both seemed to burst into laughter once they recognized the older song; Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John.

   "Don't go breaking my heart," Buck started off, his smile turning much goofy as he tried his best with singing.

   "I couldn't if I tried," Lynn sung, and almost everyone was slightly taken back by the fact she had such a beautiful voice.

   The two continued with the romantic song while a lot of people paid attention from throughout the bar. Surely, it was mostly men staring the gorgeous Lynn down, but still.

   "Doesn't she look so...happy?" Lizzy spoke up, gazing over to the few friends she made through Lynn at the fire station.

   Chimney and Hen glanced over to the blonde Kennedy, and then back up towards Lynn and Buck sharing the stage during their song.

   "Yeah, who knew she was such a good singer?" Hen stated, staring at the smiling girl dancing softly on stage. "I mean, she's usually so broody, or sarcastic. It's weird to see her so laid back."

   "You guys should've seen her when she was a teen," Lizzy continued, letting a small smile creep onto her face as a few memories of a younger, more happier version of Lynn appeared in her mind. "She was like this everyday, except she didn't need the alcohol. She was a completely different person."

   "I like her like this," Chimney agreed, nodding with a drunk little smile crossed on his face.

   "Buck helps, you know?" Lizzy replied, and her face fell a little bit with a frown. "After our dad, I don't know, it's like a part of Lynn changed. But Buck, it's like he brings that goofy, cheerful side back."

   "Your dad?" Hen questioned, narrowing her eyes at the blonde woman, who looked just as confused back at her.

   "Lynn never told you guys?"