Chapter 23 | F@#! You, Dudes

Start from the beginning

Harper presses the button to close the elevator once we're in and then turns to me with an expectant expression.

"I'm not apologizing," I say immediately.

"Dude, she's an old lady and you cussed her off in front of everyone! Not the impression you want to make here, Ser."

"She thinks I'm a stalker slut! And I was really nice to her but she wouldn't let me up. Totally acted like she couldn't even recognize me."

"In Mr. Rey's best interest. Don't you think he's had stalker fans before? She's a mean thing but Mr. Rey keeps her around for a reason."

"Because he's Satan and she's a fellow spawn," I grumble.

Harper tilts her head. "I thought you two were...you know..."

I wave a hand. "Bumping uglies? Oh, yeah. He's still pissy ole' Satan no matter how awesome the sex is."

Harper's nose scrunches. "Let's not get into details about boss-man's junior. But how's it going?"

That gets a smile out of me I can't exactly control or stop. It's unlike anything I've ever known, that's what.

I've been in a fair share of relationships but none where I felt I could be myself. I've always hid my overweight past. It would make men look at me different when they found out—the obvious way they'd eye me when I ate junk food or takeout as if waiting for me to blow up six dress sizes again, or I'd meet the rare men that would find it inspiring and would never stop bringing it up or acting like there was more to me than just that. Once anyone saw the weight, it would always be the only thing they saw and that tended to ruin relationships. I mean talk about triggering my body dysmorphia and general anxiety with intimacy. I could never be just Sierra if they couldn't stop thinking about my weight even more than I could.

But not with Holden. He knows me. He's always known me. There's nothing to hide about in my past because he was part of it and he knows better than anyone that there's always been more to me than just the weight. He was my best friend for a reason and lately, it feels like having my best friend back all over again. But in a totally sexy, gives-me-mind-blowing-orgasms, bends-me-over-every-horizontal-surface kind of way. Which, in my opinion, is the best kind of friend a girl can have. Talk about an all-in-one.

I settle on a small shrug instead of dumping all of that on Harper. "Really good. He's a royal douchebag but he happens to be my royal douchebag."

Harper grins back. "Adorable. He seems less wound up too."

"Really?"

I've only just asked the question when the elevator doors open up and chaos greets us. A silent chaos, really. Because everyone on this floor is deadly quiet except for the sound of shouting and screaming. And it's coming from Holden's office.

"I have no idea what happened," Harper rushes to defend, following me as I head for the door. What the hell is going on there? Holden never loses his cool like this. "He was fine when I went to get you."

I try for the doorknob but it's locked so I start rapping my knuckles on the wood instead. I can practically hear everyone's wince in this room. It's probably not the best idea to interrupt him but I'm not going to stay out here and go out of my mind wondering what's wrong.

The door doesn't open though. Holden just calls back an angry, "What?"

He'd shouted the word with more menace than I anticipated and I startle a little, taking an involuntary step back. O-kay. I read the situation wrong. Definitely shouldn't have interrupted. Nice going, Sierra.