Chapter One- The Awakening

I was floating. I knew I was, though I didn't dare to open my eyes, because I was weightless. Suspended in the cool abyss. My fingers and toes tingled with the oncoming of numbness.

     I knew then and there I must have died. What else could it be? I certainly wasn't breathing. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but, it was calm. Peaceful. I felt warmth blooming on my shoulder blades, and still, I didn't open my eyes. Already, this wasn't heaven. Or maybe it was, but not what I always imagined it to be. I didn't look because I was scared it was worse, much worse then this weightless feeling. So I kept my eyes screwed tight, and I felt.

     Then my body hit the shore, and I blacked out.

     My mouth was full of sand, and then water. I was being tossed this way and that, and a million voices shouted above me, but I couldn't make any sense of them. All I felt was the burning of my back grating on the sand, the water in my chest, the sun on my face. As I began to vomit onto the ground, barely conscious, I was able to recognize a snippet of conversation.

     "Alert the King."

     Someone's hand enclosed my wrist and pulled me to a sitting position, where I promptly folded in on myself and threw up more saltwater. Drowning, apparently, sucks.

     Well, I guess I'm not dead after all. Awesome. So I opened my eyes.

     I blinked, hard, four or five times, trying to adjust to the glaring sun and accumulation of sand and seawater in my eyes.

     A long beach stretched before me, and a beautiful ocean. A young man squatted in front of me, yelling at someone over my shoulder. I tried to wipe the vomit from my lips.

     When he noticed me somewhat cognizant, he spoke to me. I had to focus to understand.

     "Are you alright? We found you washed up on shore." he asked, gently. He spoke so carefully, like his very words might break me.

     "I'm far from alright," I sputtered out. My mouth was so dry, but my lips were so wet. I felt hair and grit clinging to my shoulders. "I believe I drowned."

     "Yes, I believe so. I would like to take you up to the castle, and help you get back to where you came from, but first I need to know where that is."

     The strangest thing was, I couldn't remember. All I remembered was being in the water.

     "I don't know." I redirected my gaze to the sand, in an attempt to find the missing pieces somewhere in the grains. "I don't remember."

     The man shifted on his legs, stood up, and stretched out his hand to me. I took it and stood as well, my knees shaking violently. I noticed his brow furrowed.

     "Do you remember anything?" he asked.

     And I couldn't. The more I tried to remember, the less I seemed to know. I didn't know where I came from, my birthday, what I looked like. I didn't know my own name. And the more these thoughts flooded my mind, the harder it was to breathe. I was panicking. Tears welled in my eyes.

     I felt his hand on my arm, and I jerked from the sting where my skin was rubbed raw. He winced and drew his hand back.

     "I'm sorry," he said. "Let me take you back."

     "Where?" I couldn't remember anything. How was I supposed to let a stranger take me to an unknown place and be okay with it? What would happen to me?

     "The castle. We'll see what we can do for you."

     His voice was reassuring, and calmed me a little. I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded, and began to walk beside him.

     Soon, I realized I wasn't wearing any shoes. I hadn't bothered to check if I was wearing any clothes. I was still so disoriented, but the sand seemed to scald the bottoms of my feet. I wasn't sure how much farther I could go.

     We walked in a startling silence. I couldn't hear much besides the ocean waves and distant chatter.

     We approached a small road after walking fot a short while. It was smooth stone and looked like a welcome companion compared to the dirt and sand that seemed to swallow my feet and energy with every step. Before I could step onto it, I realized the boy had stopped a few steps behind me. Before I could ask what was wrong, he held a finger to his lips.

     He turned back to look at me. "I'll be right back here. Don't go anywhere." He stepped onto the road and broke into a jog. I watched him crest the hill and disappear.

     I was so tired. I was weak, hurt, and confused. I sank to the ground and tried to burrow into it, hoping it would swallow me and choke on me and let me stay in there and stay in the quiet and the numbness I found in the ocean and maybe somewhere in there I would find everything I needed to know about myself.

     The rumble of voices steadily approaching woke me from a nap I didn't know I had been taking. I sat up quickly and welcomed a headache.

     Over the hilltop, some of the men I recognized from earlier came towards me, followed by what sounded like a car idling just over the crest. One holding a towel came and put it around my shoulders, helping me to stand. They circled me and kept close, ushering me towards the car. I couldn't see except for glimpses I caught in between their shoulders. I didn't see the boy from earlier.

     I took a seat inside the car and the door slid closed after me. I felt cool air blow against my face and shivered. I hadn't realized how cold I was. A couple of the men piled into the car with me, speaking too quietly amongst themselves for me to hear. I could tell they were in the middle of something urgent.

     I felt nauseous, so I tried to look out the window as the car began to move. I caught a small glimpse of a glimmering square with a few people leisurely strolling, couples holding hands and laughing, kids running around and squealing with delight. Suddenly, the window turned black, blocking my view of the outside.

     I turned to look at the man beside me. He avoided my gaze, but spoke quietly.

     "They don't want anyone to see you."

     "Why?" I replied, in a hoarse whisper.

     He didn't answer me. I studied him for a moment. He had overgrown wavy black hair and the shadow of a beard clinging to his jaw. I couldn't see his eyes well. His clothes were pristine and white, with a golden emblem on the pocket. I noticed the other men wearing the same outfit.

     Guards? Hadn't the other man mentioned a castle?

     Where in the world was I going?