"What did he do?" Romy asked, trying to fathom what he had said. 

"Everything you were afraid he would." Vera said. Romy had an unfamiliar urge to reach out and grab Vera but instead she practiced the self control she had long since perfected and nodded. 

"Did you give him any money?" Romy asked.

"Nothing I can't afford." Vera said. Romy could kill him. She could, she really could. She was sure she could find someone who could take care of him but instead she tried to reason with herself. That was definitely not a solution. Now she looked at Vera, feeling the sort of pity and pain she rarely ever felt. 

"You're better off." Romy said simply, turning away. 

Vera looked back at her. 

"Was that it?" Vera asked, raising her brow. 

"Was that what?" Romy replied. 

"That's the best you could do? Those were your words of comfort?" Vera asked. Romy looked at her, noting how she seemed to tremble. She was distressed, it was only natural. 

"I know this is tough, dear, but I..." Romy began, trying to put the words together but Vera snapped. 

 "You told me so?" Vera asked. Romy was quiet. That was the last thing she would have said but she couldn't find the words to put together. "God damn it, Romy. You're  a robot. I don't know how you do it. Look at you... LOOK AT YOU. You just watched Paul die yesterday and you look like it was just another fucking day."

Romy stiffened at the mention of Paul's name but her face didn't change. Instead she stood, meeting Vera's gaze for a moment, despite the difference in their height.

"Vera, I know you must be going through a lot right now so I'll let it slip this one time. NEVER mention that man to me again." Romy said, taking a step forward and putting her face very close to Vera's. Her lips were set in a tight line now, almost as if she was struggling to control herself. This was the first time Vera had ever seen her like this. "It's cold. I'm going inside."

Vera watched as Romy turned on her heel and disappeared into the house, looking as cool and calm as ever. Nothing seemed to phase her, not even watching that poor man die. That was one of the things she'd always admired about Romy but now she felt as if only repulsed her. It was a beautiful morning, Vera thought as she looked about. Unfair of the weather not to fit the mood, unfair of the world to keep spinning unchanged. Now what? Just go on like nothing... Vera couldn't do that. She wasn't Romy. 

Then she realized just how much she'd lost, and all for what? Some worthless sheets of paper that gave her the LLC for the business that was already in shambles? Her signature as a cosigner on a house that was three steps away from being foreclosed?

No. This wasn't the way this would end. It couldn't. With that thought, Vera moved quickly, calling the one person she knew who could help her begin to set things straight.

---

Tom left.

Just like that. 

Edwin had read the text over and over again, not understanding what the words really meant. It was a simple couple of sentences. Three apologies. He was sorry but he had to leave. He was sorry but he would be back. He was sorry because he could not explain.  How absurd. Edwin knew he'd been in trouble but they'd fixed it, at least Vera had and Tom had taken off without so much as a goodbye?

"Oh good, you're here." Vera said, noting how Edwin sat on the bottom step of the staircase, phone in hand and eyes glued to his screen. In the days that passed, Vera had worked tirelessly, going through paperwork, calling in favors, doing everything she had to do to make sure things were in order.