Chapter 2

Although Dalmac and the other sprites did not have the sense of feelings or emotions, that their former bodily hosts had had. They did react to the circumstances, which they now encountered. Their bodily hosts had passed to another world and released them from their responsibilities. Not only had they released them but had given them the freedom to act on their own. To maintain, to sustain, the island that had been their home, for their entire existence, had been the greatest gift the elders could have given them. It allowed them, to define themselves and their role in the life of their world. To sustain the island after its devastation, was not only a great honour but also, a great responsibility. These were feelings that the sprites could not know. What they did know, in their way, was what they had to do. That was to keep their word to the four elders. So, using skills derived from their gifts, the sprites continued to look after the island. The land, the stream, the few remaining creatures that still roamed the island, plants large and small, in fact, all living life forms, were cared for. Using their skills with earth, water, fire and wind, they kept conditions on the island constant. Keeping their world in a balance, that other worlds could only dream of. To keep the island safe from all they used their talents, to keep those who tried to gain a place on their island, well and truly at bay.
A long time had passed, thousands of cycles in fact, since the village had collapsed. After the world, they existed it had been shaken apart. The sprites on their own, were responsible for the maintenance of the island, had become something of a routine. With the four sprites, looking after their aspects of life on the island, they had been so good, at the task of keeping the island safe, that no one any longer even tried to land on Montraghar. It was as though the island no longer existed; it was a strange thing then when Dalmac the 'earth' sprite felt the presence of an earthly being. It was at the end of the island, like the beings, that used to live in the village. Radnan, the 'water' sprite sensed the change in Dalmac and joined him, soon they were joined by Olsecian and Zarac, the sprites, for their reason, joined to become one. Sensing that this new life form, although unexpected and unwanted, may need their help. Using their senses to communicate with each other, it did seem as if this being may need their help. In an unexpected way and for their sakes, they felt that they may need to help it.
After being on their own for such a long time, the sprites felt as if they were almost whole. As if something had been missing from their very existence, they started to react to their senses. They sensed that this being, so like the old village elders, that used to be part of their existence, had not seen so many cycles. It may not understand them if they simply appeared before it. To watch, to wait and to experience what their senses gave them, was the guiding light that they followed. So, the sprites watched and waited. At times, while watching this being, from way back, their senses remembered what the elders had shown them. What joy and laughter were, how funny these beings were! At times, they actually laughed to themselves, at what they saw happening. Through their laughter they had given themselves away, although at that moment Dracan did not believe his ears, he felt that something or someone was nearby. For a reason unknown to them, the sprites decided to separate into their entities, almost as if they wished for the being to see them.
Still laughing at what they saw, Dracan had fallen, stumbled and tripped his way around the ruins of the village. They watched his efforts to find food, water, for something to keep him warm as the night became cooler. It was no surprise to the sprites that they wished to help this being, who reminded them so much of the elders of the village, but they did not need to. Dracan found some fruit to eat, a cup for his water and fuel for his fire. Finally, he found some soft place to lie down, close to his fire, seeing that the being had, like the elders, a need for sleep and rest. The sprites once again, for reasons that they were not sure, of decided to watch over him while he rested.
Talking to one another, the sprites realised that there was only one thing for them to do. That was to reveal themselves to the being that was sleeping before them. With the sprites still watching over him and the sun slowly lightening sky, Dracan started to wake up, finding that although the fire no longer burnt, the little room was still warm. Slowly as the mist of sleep cleared from his mind, Dracan tried to make sense of what he thought he had felt. What he had heard before he fell asleep, he was sure that he had heard laughter, but had been unable to see where it came from. He knew that he had felt someone or something, had been watching him, but once again had not seen anything. All he could remember was the stars that seemed to be following him and that still seemed to be impossible to believe.
Looking down on him, the sprites, as one, showed themselves to him, as four shining stars. There, in the room with him, startling Dracan, who then realised, that what he had thought he had seen the night before, had not been his imagination but reality. Four shining stars were there in that little room with him, the sprites started to laugh once again at his reaction, Dracan realised that the laughter, that he thought he had heard, had not been in his mind but was very real and he began to smile to himself. All was well with him after all. It was time to look forward, to go and collect some fruit and water to satisfy his hunger. No longer surprised that the stars were with him all the time, what did make him almost jump out of his skin, was when the stars started to talk to him. Dracan thought once again, that he was hearing things, 'Sleep thee well', once again he looked around, to see if anyone was there, no one, just those four stars, again he heard, 'Sleep thee well', only this time he noticed that as the words were spoken, the star that was brightest flashed in time with the words. More in surprise than anything, he said 'Yes! thank you' in reply, 'That is good, you need to sleep, to work through the day', again taken by surprise. Dracan responded 'who are you or what are you?'. All four stars started to flash brightly, at times glowing red, as if in anger. 'We are the sprites of Montraghar, earth, water, fire and wind'. Very slowly Dracan relaxed, forgetting his need for food and water, one by one, the sprites spoke to him. Telling him of their past and the loss of the people who had lived in the village. Thinking of what he had been told, Dracan strolled towards the trees from which he gathered fruit to eat and collected water from the stream to quench his thirst. All the while the four stars followed him, stopping where he stopped, pulsing gently.