Chapter 2: Unfair

Chapter 2:

If there was one thing in this world that Oikawa Tooru hated the most, it would be geniuses.

For example, he hated Kageyama Tobio, his old junior high teammate and underclassman, who happened to be a volleyball prodigy. He hated how unfair it was that while he worked his ass off, Kageyama had natural-born talent and skills that he could take advantage of. Yes, he was jealous, but who wouldn't be?

There was also Ushijima Wakatoshi from Shiratorizawa Academy but... If Oikawa even thought about him, he would explode in a fit of outrage.

"You should've come to Shiratorizawa..."

Oikawa would rather jump in front of a bus than be teammates with that guy.

Speaking of geniuses, Kageyama and Ushijima reminded him of a certain girl.

Miyazaki Kaiya.

If Oikawa was being honest with himself, he actually thought she was kind of cute when Iwaizumi introduced them as first-years. She had long, sleek black hair and round, grey eyes that seemed dull most of the time. The only time she had ever seemed passionate was whenever he was teasing or mocking or purposely angering her. Additionally, Kaiya was relatively tall and had a fit build, presumably from volleyball and whatever sport she used to be involved in. Now, as a third year, she looked almost exactly the same, except... Well, if he thought of Kaiya like that, his girlfriend would be undoubtedly upset.

He wouldn't even think of Kaiya like that. He hated her.

After learning about her natural-born talent and skills for volleyball, he slowly and gradually grew to resent her.

It was unfair.

According to Iwaizumi, Kaiya didn't even plan on becoming a professional volleyball player after high school. To make matters worse, she was regarded as one of the top 3 high school aces in all of Japan... She was literally throwing her gift away.

How unfair.

Geniuses should perish in a pit of fire, Oikawa thought to himself.

"Tooru!" He heard a familiar voice call out, disrupting his thoughts.

At the same time, the bell rang, signalling the end of class.

He spun around to find his girlfriend, Nakamura Ayame, smiling behind him.

"Ayame-chan!" He grinned as she stood up from her desk to hug him.

"We're still on for our date tonight?" She asked expectantly.

Oikawa froze - he forgot to cancel.

"Uh... About that..." He laughed nervously.

His girlfriend frowned, and he knew he instantly screwed up.

"You promised..." She pouted, causing his heart to twinge from guilt.

"I-I know..." Oikawa sighed, "It's just, I already missed enough volleyball practice because of my injury so coach really wants me to get back into shape..."

"Ugh! Do you even care about me?!" Ayame exclaimed exasperatedly.

Before he could respond, she had already stomped away, leaving him alone. Oikawa exhaled as he shook his head. He had to get her a "sorry" gift after practice.

Oikawa's phone buzzed suddenly, revealing a text from Iwaizumi.

Iwa-chan: Oikawa, we have a meeting/practice at the gym. Don't forget.

Oikawa: I'll be right there, Iwa-chan. Don't miss me too much!

Iwa-chan: Die.

Oikawa hurriedly packed up his things and noticed Kaiya scribbling something in a notebook. She seemed so focused. He smirked and sauntered over to her.

"Miya-chan..." He sighed exaggeratedly, causing her to look up in surprise, "Are you writing another passage declaring your love for Iwa-chan?"

Kaiya cringed, her face blushing slightly from his words, "Shut up, Oikawa!"

"Oh yeah?" He leaned down teasingly, "And if I don't?"

Her eyebrows furrowed in annoyance as she stared coldly at him, "I wonder if Nakamura-san knows how irritating her boyfriend is."

"She doesn't because I'm not!" He retorted back coolly, "And, don't say such mean things about me... I might accidentally slip up and say something-"

"Okay! Okay!" Kaiya huffed defeatedly, "Fine. Just... Shut up."

Oikawa smirked triumphantly, "Enjoy volleyball practice, Miya-chan."

"Whatever."

Oikawa laughed obnoxiously as he exited the classroom. He was greeted by a few girls who admired him, and he even took a few minutes to talk to them. Even though he had many girls who liked him, he was loyal to his girlfriend, Ayame. They had been together for almost six months after all.

As soon as he approached the gym, Iwaizumi scowled at him.

"You're late!" Iwaizumi boomed.

"Sorry! Sorry!" Oikawa smiled brightly, "Let's start practice!"

"Hey, before that..." Iwaizumi threw a volleyball at him and he caught it effortlessly, "We have a practice game against Karasuno High next week."

"What school is that?" Oikawa tilted his head in a confused manner, "I've never heard of them..."

"It's the high school Kageyama attends." Kindaichi, a first-year, added softly.

Oikawa looked up at the ceiling slowly, baffling his teammates. He stared at the lights, fragmented memories of junior high engulfing his mind.

Kageyama Tobio, the King of the Court, was attending some school that he had never heard of.

"When?" Oikawa murmured.

"Next week." Matsukawa chimed in.

He took a deep breath and met the gazes of his curious teammates. Oikawa smiled as he removed his jacket.

"Let's start practice." He stated calmly.

An unnerving, unspoken tension lingered among his teammates. After a few seconds, they obliged and began setting up the court.

"So, after practice today, I'm going over to Miyazaki's house to help her build a bookshelf. Are you coming?" Iwaizumi asked.

"No," Oikawa scoffed, "Why can't she build her own bookshelf?"

"She doesn't have the tools for it and besides, her dad isn't at home to help her." He explained casually.

Oikawa's eyes gleamed with mischief, "Oh lala, Iwa-chan... It's just going to be you and Miya-chan, alone in her house?"

He grimaced, proceeding to slap his arm, "Shut it, Oikawa."

Oikawa rubbed his arm soothingly, pouting, "Ow..."

"You know I think of her as a sister." Iwaizumi revealed, stretching his arms.

"Right..." Oikawa chuckled.

Oikawa knew for a while that Iwaizumi wasn't interested in Kaiya romantically. Despite this, he continued to tease Kaiya and he enjoyed it a lot. He didn't know why though.

As practice commenced, Oikawa used the time to practice his serves and his sets. Although he had nearly perfected his serves, he still felt like it wasn't enough. It felt like he could never catch up to the geniuses no matter how hard he tried or how long he practiced.

Damn geniuses.

That was why, no matter how cute Miyazaki Kaiya may be in his eyes, he would never, ever try to be friends with her.

He despised geniuses.

There was nothing in this world that could ever change Oikawa's opinion of Kaiya.

Absolutely nothing.