Chapter Sixteen

short, but kind of gets the ball rolling on something else :)

------------------

A day of fishing really seemed to change Perrie's mind about taking a trip to Missouri. Isaac knew her mind wouldn't stay put her long and she would change it whenever she felt the need, until then he would enjoy the nicer side of Perrie that had returned. Nobody ever said parenting a teenager would be easy, if Isaac had known just how hard it was then he would have been a lot better to his parents during his teen years.

Growing up was hard enough, it hadn't been that long since Isaac was a teenager. Yes, times had changed since then but most of the problems teens had were still the same. During his teen years he had bounced from one spot to the next touring and what not, as glamourous as it all seemed there were times when he wanted to be considered normal. Isaac loved his childhood and his teenage years, yet there were times when he had found himself wishing that he could be like every other teenager in the world.

Placed at the table with the daily paper's word search in his hand, he imagined how Perrie felt. Isaac would guess that her wish was similar to the one he'd had. Perrie's situation was different and rather the same. She had been bounced around, her life changing drastically, and now she was left trying to figure out who she was and where she fit in. Every day Perrie was learning something new about herself and her life, about her family, and it was putting a lot of strain on her. Sometimes Isaac felt a little guilty for pushing her in so many directions.

Unintentional as it was, maybe he was asking too much of Perrie all at once? There had been a time or two when Isaac had amost forget she was only fifteen, wise beyond her years, talking with Perrie felt like talking to somebody more his own age. Isaac had to remind himself that he was still dealing with a teenager, there would be days when Perrie would be the adult and days when she'd still be a child.

This was a confusing time for everybody.

A chiming door bell required Isaac to give up his hunt for letters and set aside the word search. On his way to the door, he took a quick glance in the mirror that hung in the hallway, quickly ruffling his hair around to try and get his curls looking more suitable. Naturally Isaac was always prepared to receive guests, except today. He had showered and found an old hoddie and jeans to pull on, he had no where to be and didn't see the point in putting a lot of effort into his day.

It was likely just the mailman or a random door to door advocate for one group or another. It wasn't like he had to impress somebody he'd politely turn away in a few moments. Opening the door, Isaac prepared himself to listen to one speech or another, when he came face to face with Perrie's social worker.

"Mr. Hanson, I didn't come at a bad time did I?"

"Mrs. Lancer. Oh, no of course not." Isaac was clearly surprised to see her at the door. "Come in, come in." he stood back ushering her inside the house.

"Thank you, Mr. Hanson." she spoke, smiling warmly.

"It's Isaac, please." Isaac smiled, adjusting his glasses. "How have you been?"

Pleasantries underway, the pair idly chatted about this and that for a moment or two. To say Isaac was shocked to see her was a bit of an understatement. Everything seemed to be fine, as far as he knew. He liked Mrs. Lancer, she was a kind woman and had a devilish sense of humour, somebody Isaac was glad to have on his side. There were horror stories about everything in life, social workers and foster care had many, Isaac felt that they were lucky because Perrie's story didn't come with any of that.

"What do I owe this pleasure?" Isaac finally asked.

"I can see you are shocked to see me, I'm sorry, but I couldn't tell you when I was coming. It would ruin the whole random visitation." she laughed gently.