Chapter Twelve

Oklahoma has been nominated for: Best Isaac catagory in the Blank Page Awards!

------------------

The house was quiet in the night, there was a soft glow from the light above the sink that had been left on, and a quiet hum of the refrigerator made the room feel a little less lonely. Perrie sat at the table, staring into space as her thoughts swirled. Isaac had given her a lot to think about after their afternoon, with her mind full Perrie had been having a hard time falling asleep. Unsatisfied with laying in bed, tossing and turning, she had made her way to the kitchen where she had been for the last hour or so.

She had so many questions, but 3AM wasn't the time to be asking them. After Isaac had broke the news to her about her mother, it was almost like the two of them had some how fallen apart. Perrie wasn't all that shocked to hear her mother's fate, at the same time it was absolutely crushing. Never would she get the chance to meet her mom. Perrie would never get the chances that so many people took for granted. Sniffling and wiping the back of her hand across her eyes, Perrie blinked back the tears that teetered waiting to fall.

It felt as though she had cried all she could earlier, it was amazing she had any tears left. As silly as it would sound out loud, Perrie had been completely touched to hear Isaac tell her how much he had and would always love her. Grady, Laura, Ben, along with friends and other so called family had always told Perrie how much they loved her, but to hear it coming from her actual dad had been something she wasn't prepared for.

Emotions had certainly ran high and it had been exhausting. Perrie had asked to be excused from dinner early, hiding herself away in her new bedroom. Being alone had been intended for her to think, instead she had sat on the floor next to her bed looking through photos she had brought with her from her old life. Unsure of how to process everything, Perrie continued to sit in the kitchen and stare into space.

"Perrie?" a voice startled her.

Jumping slightly and quickly wiping her eyes, Perrie turned to see Nikki had joined her.

"I had a feeling somebody was down here, I wanted to make sure it wasn't one of the boys." she explained sleepily rubbing her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. I um..." Perrie paused, pushing her chair back to stand up. "I'll go back to bed."

"Sit." Nikki instructed gesturing to the chair that Perrie was already in.

Perrie sank back into the chair, while Nikki busied herself boiling the kettle and setting up two mugs for tea. When the kettle was boiled, filling the silence with the loud whistle, Nikki filled the mugs with the steaming water and placed one in front of Perrie with a small smile.

"Your dad always has a cup of tea, when he can't sleep." Nikki said, sitting down across from Perrie.

"It sort of seems weird to hear that word." Perrie spoke, her voice barely above a whisper. Dad. She had heard the word many times, but it felt so fresh and new when somebody used it in terms of Isaac's relation to her. "I've never really had a dad."

"I suppose it must be a little weird." Nikki agreed. "Did you always call Grady by his first name?"

"Pretty much." Perrie answered, her voice still quiet.

"Grady's a really nice guy, I'm looking forward to having him and Laura come visit us at some point." If she was going to really break the ice with Perrie, the Burnhams seemed like a good conversation topic. Perrie sat, wide eyed not knowing what to say. "Isaac and I really want them to come visit, they're still a part of your life and we want to keep it that way."

"I'd like to keep it that way too." Perrie took a sip of her tea. The warm liquid slid down her throat, filling her body with its warmth. Sitting with Nikki was leaving Perrie feeling rather awkward still. They had been together, but not alone and not for long.