Chapter 7

Oh my gosh! I've hit over a thousand reads!!! Thank you all so much for voting and commenting on my story, you have no idea how much that means to me. I really only thought I would have maybe gotten only like 60 reads... but 1,000? Wow.

Please remember to keep voting/commenting/fanning if you want to give me motivation on continuing this story. Please tell your friends and let's get these reads doubled! Thank you all so much once again! And remember.

Dreams do come true, you just have to work for them.

Chapter 7

Fern's eyes snapped open quickly as a happy grin stretched across her face. She rolled over with a happy sigh as her eyes focused on the light of her clock next to her bed. It was 7 in the morning on Christmas and the house was completely silent. Fern pulled back her curtains as she saw tiny snowflakes falling from the sky and onto the freshly powdered Earth. Fern jumped out of bed and sprinted into her parents room. She jumped on the bed with as much force as she could, causing a few groans and cuss words erupt from the covers underneath.

“Fern, you're 14, you shouldn't be waking up this early anymore.” Her mother grunted, her voice tinged with a hint of annoyance. Fern frowned as she threw the covers off of her sleepy parents and laughed in delight as she watched them squirm from the sudden coldness that had enveloped them.

“Just because I'm 14 doesn't mean I can't get excited for Christmas!” Fern squealed bouncing up and down in anticipation. Fern's father chuckled as he got up and started to get ready for the long day ahead of them. Fern bit her lip to try and prevent the smile that was threatening to emerge on her lips. Fern quickly dragged her parents down the stairs just as soon as they finished getting ready.

As soon as she got downstairs the smile she was trying to hold in couldn't be contained anymore. Her huge, goofy smile had finally made its way to her face as she saw presents of all shapes and sizes surrounding the tree. Some were from her parents, some from relatives, she even got one from her older brother who couldn't come down from New York for the holidays, being the busy, big shot lawyer he was. Fern was a little upset when she found out that her brother wouldn't be with her for Christmas for the first time, but she shook the thought away as she realized that he was chasing his dream. Fern ran around in giddy circles as she tried to decide which one to unwrap first.

“Why don't you unwrap Danny's first?” Her dad asked as he held up the present that had been from her brother. Fern nodded as she took the present carefully in her hands, like it was something so fragile, that if you even breathed on it, it would break. Fern slowly opened her present, subconsciously holding her breath as she tried guessing what it could be. Fern's eyes widened as she saw a tiny section of the box. She started to unwrap faster as her excitement took over. Fern screamed as loud as she could as she held up her present for her parents to admire. An iPad.

“I can't believe he got this for me!” Fern shouted excitedly jumping around the house like a hyperactive frog.

“Calm down Froggie, now don't expect too much from us. Danny set the bar pretty high this year.” Fern's dad stated, his eyes twinkling the way they used to. Fern nodded as she hugged the box close to her chest afraid that if she even let it go, it would disappear right before her eyes. Some kind of cruel joke. Fern continued to unwrap presents as she continually thanked her parents for the pile of new clothes they had gotten her. She constantly kept looking over at the iPad box, making sure it was still there. Soon all the presents were opened and wrapping paper had taken over the living room floor, the different reds, greens, and whites made her slightly dizzy as she twirled around in delight. Fern felt her footing slip underneath her as her body started to tumble towards the ground and a slight scream emitted from her lips. Just as she was about to hit the floor, a pair of strong arms caught her and picked her up, seeming as though nothing had happened. Ferns heartbeat raced as she turned around to be met with the cheery blue eyes of her best friend.