"I noticed" Jimin huffed a laugh. "A pleasant guy"

Ryuu hummed and to Jimin's dismay, he started off on the before topic. "He-he usually knows if new people are coming...just so you know"

It took quite an effort for Jimin to keep his voice even when he said, "I'm sure my reference letter just went unnoticed. He'll find it" He didn't know what drove him to say it, probably his instinct to stay unnoticed. For all he knows, maybe there weren't any reference letters going around here. It was a whole another world. Anything was a possibility.

He hated himself for being right.

"You know I can tell you've never been a guard before, right?" Ryuu sounded like he was holding back a laugh at Jimin's expense. The human scowled. "If you're worried I'll snitch you out to Alden, don't be" a strange kind of emotion entered his voice when he spoke again. "'sides, you're not the only one here to do something other than babysit prisoners"

Jimin's head snapped to look at Ryuu, who resolutely kept looking in front of him, footsteps a tad bit faster.

"You here to...break someone out?" Jimin asked carefully, voice void of curiosity. He didn't want Ryuu to think he was prying.

"No not really"

Jimin waited. They finally arrived at their destination: the courtyard loomed in front of them, looking like a vast desert with nothing but a tall tower in the midst of it, looking oddly out of place. It must be the rumored tower where the most dangerous criminals were held hostage.

Jimin turned his head away from the building to look at Ryuu, waiting for an answer. He couldn't risk it. Ryuu knew about his fraud identity Jimin just had to know something about Ryuu himself to even it out. He couldn't risk being snitched out now.

They sun shone down almost blindingly on them as Ryuu opened his mouth to reply, his entire body tense.

"I'm here to talk to my father"

**

"Your father?"

Ryuu, who had explained himself as a witch, nodded, his caramel brown hair falling over his left eye as he did so. He seemed like a teenager, most probably younger than Jimin himself. He and Jimin had taken off their headgears, opting to sit down on the courtyard, away from anyone's plain sight to have a proper talk.

"He's a criminal" he replied, eyes on the ground. "A dangerous one"

Jimin frowned. "But then...why?"

The teenager laughed an exhausted thing that made Jimin yearn to hug him provide some comfort to him. "I know it's crazy. But he- my father...he loved us all so much. We never even suspected a thing till some people of the council showed up at our house, demanding him to surrender" his smile was sad. "We never knew he was mutilating people in town"

Jimin didn't honestly know what to say, but he was pretty sure his wide eyes was a response Ryuu was used to, for he chuckled a bit. "I'm sorry" Jimin muttered.

Ryuu didn't reply for a moment or two.

"He must've had a reason" the boy mumbled suddenly, breaking the silence. "He was one of the best people I knew- He-He must have had a reason for it"

"You want to ask him why" it wasn't a question, it was a statement. Ryuu nodded. "Do you know where he is?"

Ryuu gestured at the tower. The one that even Jimin so badly wanted to infiltrate. "I've been asking around for the past few weeks. Apparently he's in there"