Chapter 3

Erica POV

I started driving back to the hotel while Ben explained how he caught Murray. Ben did a clean job of it and half-way through the explanation Murray became conscious again. He started banging on the trunk so I pulled over and sedated him again. When we got back to the hotel we decided to fake that Murray was our friend and he was unconscious so we took him back to our room.

The front desk didn't bat an eye when Ben came in hauling Murray over his shoulder. We took the elevator and I called granddad.

"Excelsior," I said to granddad

"We are coming in with Murray so open the door and prepare an interrogation room," I said.

"Where did you find Murray? You were only supposed to go out for lunch," he said with a hint of confusion in his voice.

"Tell you later, bye," I said and hung up. We saw Zoe open our room door and saw Ben with Murray and me with food. She went inside to report our presence. I quickly ran to the door and held it open before it could close. Ben walked in and put Murray in a chair and started duct taping him into the chair. 

"What happened?" asked Mike confused.

"Murray may have happened to be in the parking lot so we may or not of captured him," said Ben. Ben excused himself to get some rest. 

Ben POV

I went to go sit down for a bit because that Murray kid was HEAVY. I judged his weight to be around 90 lbs and I was tired. I decided to go check my phone for about ten minutes but then Erica walked in. I put down my phone and she walked over to me. 

"I'm making sure you didn't pull a muscle or anything," she said soothingly. I never knew she could be soothing. she rolled up my pants and looked at them.

"No injuries, good," she said and walked out of the room before pausing, "And good work back there." 

She continued walking out of the room. I pulled out my phone and saw a new text message from Erica.

0600 recon get ready

I quickly got packed because it was 0548 and I had 12 minutes to meet her and go out for recon. I quickly told my mom that I was going out for recon and I bolted to the elevator. I saw Erica standing outside it and we got in and punched the ground floor. 

Erica took my hand and whispered, "You are pretending to be my boyfriend to the front desk." She looked away and I thought I saw her blush. When we got outside of the building Erica hotwired a car and we got into the car. She cradled my head and stuck a radio receiver into it. My spirits were down as she was doing this for the mission. I hid it well though because she didn't notice. I got my M9 ready in case of emergencies.

Luckily, no emergencies arose as we drove to the entry point of Chichen Itza. We wandered in and pretended to be tourists. She took my hand again and I assumed it was because she was pretending to be my girlfriend. We melted into the trees and went to the astronomy building. Erica looked around and said, "three agents."

I looked around and looked at her with a confused expression. She sighed and pointed to a man in a stall who was looking at the building very intently. She then pointed to a guard who was pretending to be reading a newspaper but looking above it. And nodded at a tourist who was snapping pictures. I saw a bulge in his pockets and realized it was probably a gun. I nodded at her and she brought out an odd-looking gun. I looked at her and mouthed no. She whispered, "It shoots trackers."

She quickly hit the targets and brought out her phone. She nodded and mouthed "It's working."

We decided that this was enough surveillance and went back and Erica took my hand again and squeezed it. She continually squeezed it until I realized it was morse code.

I mouthed repeat and she restarted the squeezing.

Follow me

I left her hand and she started walking to the parking lot. I followed her and she hotwired a different car. 

"You drive, I need to track them," she said. I took the driver's seat and looked at the controls and started the car after a minute. I figured out some of the buttons and started driving. It took twice as long to get back to the hotel. 

Erica took my hand and we went to the elevator.