Becoming Friends

I woke up to the scent of bacon, one of my favorite foods. I opened my eyes, seeing an unfamiliar room full of beer bottles and randomly scattered papers. It was NOT my hospital room.

It took a few minutes, but then I remembered exactly what had happened, and why I was on Chester's couch. I facepalmed as I replayed the events of yesterday over again in my head.

Deciding I needed to shower, I hesitantly got up off of his comfortable couch and walked toward the aromatic scent of bacon, and there he stood, the happiest smile on his face.

"Good morning, how are you today?" He asked happily, taking a sip of some freshly brewed coffee.

"I'm good, where's your bathroom? I should probably shower..." I said in a drowsy voice. God I should just disappear forever.

"That door over there." He pointed to the left. "Here, let me get a towel and some clothes you can change into. You're probably tired as hell of wearing those hospital clothes." Chester laughed as he disappeared into his bedroom to find me some clothes.

He emerged a few moments later, handing me a folded T-shirt and some sweatpants. "I'm not sure how they'll fit, but they'll work for now. There should be a towel in there already. Come out soon, I'll have food ready in a few." I thanked Chester and locked the bathroom door.

In three months I haven't looked in the mirror, and my reflection was horrifying. My auburn hair was a few inches longer, now going about halfway down my back, all strewn about. Everything I did to maintain my appearance was put to the side as I examined my reflection. In those three months, I noticed a lot of flaws, but decided to worry about them later, and not keep Chester waiting too long. I turned on the shower and let the steamy water drizzle down my exposed body.

Chester. If it weren't for him, I don't know where I'd be right now. I'd either be stuck with Aaron, or I'd be somewhere possibly even worse than that. Chester came at the right time and has been nothing but nice to me. I will forever be grateful to him for that.

A few minutes later, after I finished my shower and changed into Chester's clothes, which fit perfectly by the way, I walked back into the kitchen. He must've heard me because he turned around and stared at me.

I heard him gulp as he continued to stare at me. That's when I noticed just how attractive he was. The sunlight coming through the windows in his kitchen perfectly lit his face, as his somewhat spiky bottle blonde hair gleamed in the sunlight. His eyes, big, chocolate brown eyes stared deep into my soul. His facial features were carved to perfection, and to tie it all off, he wore a lip ring in the center of his perfect lips.

At this point, I knew I'd been staring too long, and that my face was probably as red as a pepper, so I awkwardly looked away.

"Uhhhh, I made some food, I hope you like bacon." Chester changed the subject to help ease the tension in the room.

"Yeah, I love it. Thanks.

A good hour or so later, Chester took off to head to his music studio. He told me to make myself feel at home, and not to run away. The last bit in more of a joking tone.

So I had most of the day to spend alone, and the perfect idea came to mind. I'd clean this place up for him. It'd be something nice I could do for him, now it's my turn! I grinned as I began picking up old beer bottles and throwing them away, along with the empty pizza box and soda cans from last night. I took all of his papers and stacked them neatly. Like the snoop I am, I couldn't hold back from reading one.

They were lyrics, lyrics to music I've heard before.

There's something inside me that pulls beneath the surface
Consuming, confusing
This lack of self control I fear is never ending
Controlling
I can't seem
To find myself again
My walls are closing in
(Without a sense of confidence I'm convinced
That there's just too much pressure to take)
I've felt this way before
So insecure

I still couldn't place it, why these lyrics were so familiar. I hummed those lyrics to myself as I continued to clean up his condo. At this point, the living room was spotless, so I just wiped everything down and plopped back onto the couch. I decided I'd watch movies for the rest of my time alone.

A few hours later, I heard the front door unlock and Chester walked into the living room. When he saw how clean it was, his jaw dropped.

"Did you do this?" He asked, it was hard to tell if he was happy or upset, since he was so taken aback. "I didn't expect this at all, thank you. I honestly want to hug you right now." Chester admitted.

We both stood there for awhile, taking in each other's scent. Chester smelled of lemons. "You didn't have to do all this." He whispered, still hugging me.

"I felt like I should've done at least something. You've been nothing but nice to me. Thank you."

We stood there like that awhile longer.

"So tell me about yourself." Chester sat down and motioned for me to join him. "I don't know much about you.

I nervously hit my nails as I tried to think of what to say. Chester took notice of this.

"Like, what's your favorite color? Song? I don't know, just something. Where are you from?"

"I- I'm from here, lived in California my whole life."

"That's cool, I'm from Arizona. I came out here to make some music with my friends."

"That's cool." I mumbled. It was 4 o'clock, so we had some time to kill.

"Let's go do something. You know what? Let's go shopping." Chester practically jumped up off of the couch and grabbed his car keys. He pulled his hood up above his head, in an attempt to hide himself.

At the mall, Chester gripped my hand, making sure I don't wander off. He led me to a store with shelves lined in black band tees. "You like any bands in particular?" He asked, looking through the shirts and finding ones he liked.

"Yeah, I mean, I have a CD player somewhere, with all of my favorite songs, probably at Aaron's." I said, and Chester paled at the mention of him.

"How long we're you two together?" He asked, his tone completely changed.

"Three years." I quietly replied, ashamed of myself.

Chester changed the subject as he noticed my discomfort. "Hey, pick out a shirt."

"Chester, I can't. I don't have mone-" I tried but he cut me off.

"I'm buying, no if ands or buts. You need to wear something." Chester grabbed a random black shirt off of a shelf and flung it at me, surprisingly I caught it. It was a Pink Floyd shirt. "You like Pink Floyd?"

I shook my head yes and we walked out of the store, and into a giant food court. The second I saw a Cinnabon, my eyes lit up. We both got some cinnamon rolls and sat together, Chester telling me a funny story about his friend, Mike, in the studio.