{Chapter Twenty-Eight}

"In A Duffel Bag"

{Chicago PD: S3 Ep20}

[Elena's POV]

The room I was sat in was quiet, I was one of only a few patients in the room and there was only one nurse, April, in the room, she was checking on patients, refilling cups of water, and setting up IV's for meds to flow through.

Glancing up at the bag of chemo, I saw it was getting close to becoming empty. I checked the clock and saw I had an hour before I was supposed to be at work I turned my attention back to the case file laid in my lap, usually, I wouldn't bring files anywhere but the precinct and my apartment but I needed the distraction and had nothing better to do.

April appeared in the corner of my eye and I held out my arm allowing her to check my IV was intact, which it was. I noticed her grimace when she caught sight of the crime scene photos I was looking through, "Honestly Elena, I had no idea how you can do that every day," She said, shaking her head at the sight of the bloodier than usual crime scene photos.

"I've been with the BAU for a while, I've gotten used to it," I said, shrugging gently, "I try not to think about how people were killed... I like to think about how I bring closure to the families when we catch whoever hurt or killed their loved ones... good outways the bad I suppose,"

"Yeah, guess so," April said with a gentle smile, "How do you feel?"

"I'm okay, just tired, finished up a case late last night, I think I got about three hours sleep before my alarm so rudely pulled me from sleep," I said, letting out a small laugh as I spoke,

April hummed in understanding, "I get it, I had a night shift a few days ago, didn't get home until four hours after I was supposed to finish," She said, "Just make sure you take it easy when you're done here, alright?" I nodded gently and received a smile in response before April went to check on another patient who's chemo bag had been gained completely.

I let out a small sigh and turned back to my case file and preyed this was the last time I'd have to be in this room, being fed meds through an IV that made me feel worse than I already do, "Here's to hoping," I whispered,

{}{}{}

A shiver forced its way up my spine when a harsh ice-cold breeze hit me in the face. I wrapped jacket tighter around myself and used my foot to close my car door before making my way over to Hank who was stood by an ambulance watching as a paramedic climbed into the vehicle, a baby that looked as cold as ice, in his arms. The baby is why we were called to the scene.