𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

Start from the beginning

"We didn't -"

Elara's eyes snapped back to him as he spoke.

"We didn't - do anything," he muttered, studying his fingers on the railing. "We were just - looking for something... together."

Elara snorted, although some of the sting eased. "Yeah. A climax."

Draco stared at her for a long moment and she stared back, unable to keep a straight face before she burst out into laughter at her own joke.

Draco rolled his eyes but his expression was amused. "Very funny. Really witty."

Elara took a few more moments to calm down. "Oh, come on! That was so good."

"Did I ever tell you Ravenclaw is my least favourite house?"

"Must be our charm," Elara retorted, cheekily.

They fell into an easy silence, looking out over the wide expanse of Hogwarts in front of them.

After a long while, Draco spoke.

"Why don't you want to go back home?" he asked, quietly.

She kept quiet for a minute longer before responding. "As long as I can remember, my parents have been involved in every single aspect of my life." Her shoulders shook with a deep sigh. "And although I realise how privileged I am to have them... it gets exhausting, trying to live up to their expectations."

"I'd expect your elder sister to have more of the pressure on her," Draco said after a moment. He rubbed his hand over his jaw, suddenly looking twice as exhausted.

"Freya has always been good at doing whatever our parents say," Elara answered, eyeing him with concern. "Draco, are you okay? You look exhausted."

Her words seemed to snap something within him and she could see the mask slip on over his face. "I'm fine. Long day."

What are you hiding, Malfoy?

"You should rest," she murmured, gently turning his face so she could see him better. His skin was so pale, the dark rings below his eyes standing out in the moonlight.

He jerked his head away from her touch. "I said I'm fine."

The sneer was back on his face - but she could see how half-hearted it was. She didn't want to fight either.

So she talked instead.

"Freya and Isaac are the pride and joy of the family," Elara stated. "My younger sister and I fell a bit short of the requirements."

Sighing, she conjured a shawl and draped it around her shoulders, protecting her from the cold wind. The temperature had dropped a few degrees since they'd been going at each other's throats.

"I didn't even know you had a younger sister," Draco responded, linking his fingers together as his hands dangled over the railing.

She side-eyed him. "You remember Isaac?"

He scoffed, lightly. "Of course I remember Isaac. He used to be the captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team when I was in my first year."

Elara smiled at the mention. Her elder brother had been her hero growing up.

"And as far as I remember," Draco finally turned to face Elara, leaning his elbow on the railing, "he was far less tolerant than you. I'm pretty sure he formed a Gryffindor hate club."

Elara pressed her hand over her mouth to suppress her laughter, still leaning on the railing. If she turned to face him, they'd be too close.

"That is true," she smiled. "But then he went through a Romeo and Juliet phase and fell in love with a Gryffindor." Catching herself, she moved to explain. "Romeo and Juliet was a story -"