chapter sixteen

- november 25th 1994 -

the evening of the day of the task found a party being held in the gryffindor common room. one would be the first for students in first year and one that would be first for the whole year in general.

the party was strictly gryffindor only, by fred and george made a exception for when it came to the girl in ravenclaw. the two didn't even let her go back to her dorm and dragged her along with fellow students in the red and gold house up the stairs through the portrait hole and into the common room.

fred, george and lee ordered the girl to sit out and wait beside Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet. they were going to the kitchens to steal some food for the evening, a task that could only go well with those who have many times before. two gryffindor girls whom she had talked to many times before.

alicia leaned forward, "who are you guys hoping to ask you to the ball?"

angelina shrugged, "not that fussed." she said.

alicia laughed quietly beside her, "you sure you don't want a particular weasley to ask you to the ball?" angelina turned to her side stomping on the girls foot with such force the girl yelped in pain. after a couple of minutes she turned to y/n, "who are you hoping to go with?"

"i don't mind. i've had a handful of people ask me so far. like what's with the rush, the ball is on christmas. but i'm hoping for one of my beauxbaton friends. would make things much easier," the girl said.

"that is true it would be easier but what if, what if a boy from hogwarts asked you what would you say?" angelina said excietedly. 

y/n shrugged, "it depends really. i woulsn't want to go with some stranger or some i don't know horrid person."

alicia nodded in agreement, "i wouldn't want to either, especially one of those old slytherins. snakes they are and horrible people. they do more bad than any good they could ever have!" she cussed. 

before either angelina or y/n could reply fred, george and lee entered the common room. their arms full with food, snacks drinks whatever they managed to steal from the kitchens in the time being. students throughout the common room cheered in excitement and music began to play. though suddenly the music stopped and the portrait door swung open.

fred and george weasley walked in carrying the boy on their shoulders. they placed him down and he went to stand beside hermionie holding the golden egg in his arms. "open it harry! go on! let's see what's inside of it!" lee jordan screamed from behind. 

hermione scrunched her nose in frustration, "he's supposed to work out the clue on his own," she said swiftly. "it's in the tournament rules..." the girl grumbled.

"i was supposed to work out how to get past the dragon on my own too." harry mutter so only hermonie could hear.

"yeah, go on, harry! open it!" several people echoed.

harry dug his fingernails into the groove which ran all around the egg and pried it open. it was hallow and to his surprise completely empty - though in the moment harry opened it the most horrible noise of a loud and screechy, wailing had filled the room. 

"shut it! shut it!" fred frantically screeched, covering his ears with his hands.

y/n and the two girls collectively covered their ears with their hands and grabbing pillows from the seats they were sat on to help cover the noise.

"what was that?" said seamus staring at the egg as harry slammed it shut. "sounded like... what's it called like a... like a banshee! maybe you've got to get past one of those next harry!"