PROLOGUE

ALBUS HUMMED UNDER HIS BREATH as he ripped the most important magical artefact in Britain. The moonlight illuminated his work with an eerie glow. The Quill lay limp as the wind whistled through the door which he had broken and nipped at his fingers. The Book's heavy binding made him wonder at the enchantments he could still feel centuries after they were placed. As he wrapped his cloak tighter around himself, the Book's presence was slightly weakened.

He told himself that what he was doing was right, and that he would put it back as soon as he was done, and that he was one of the most skilled wizards of the century so he didn't need to worry. A Dillusionment Charm, he cast over himself. After all, he didn't need a cloak to become invisible, and nobody needed to know where he'd been.

~•~•~•~•~

After changing the password to his office, Albus examined the paper that held so many secrets. The ornate clock perched above the fire sped through the night as he became increasingly absorbed.

The paper looked as if it had once been glossy and thick, but thousands of years of simply existing had worn it down to the thickness of tissue. Albus had researched the Book and Quill, but nothing has prepared him for this.

The Book and Quill were centuries old, presumably charmed by the founders themselves. The Quill could sense whenever there was magic in a womb, but the Book had a different policy, and would only let the quill write once the child had performed accidental magic. Albus presumed that the Book was where Minerva received her list of acceptance letters to write from.

~•~•~•~

The morning bell rang and Albus jumped. He had been locked in his office for hours trying to learn the secrets not touched by human hands for over two thousand years. He glanced at the names on both sides of the paper - Rae Taylor and Yasmin Lee.

But however much he wanted to, Albus couldn't survive on sweets forever - it would be good to take a break from trying to figure out the mysteries of something this old. He left the room, and only Fawkes saw his long robes accidentally sweep the page into the roaring fire.

 He left the room, and only Fawkes saw his long robes accidentally sweep the page into the roaring fire