Chapter 1: Meeting the Laurence Boy

Tonight was surely going to be an exciting night. My older sister, Meg, my twin sister, Jo, and I are going to a New Year's Eve party. Jo was helping Meg fix her hair. I was putting on my shoes as Amy walked around the kitchen wanting to pry into our lives about tonight.

"Tell me all about Belle Gardiner. About her nose and her ring. Annie says it's an emerald. Everyone's lucky but me," Amy whined.
"You'll get your chance to go to parties and balls when you are older, Amy," I said.
"That's what Meg and Marmee say. I would love it if something exciting happened to me. That would be just splendid," she said.

"I'm glad I don't have to go and be
with all those frightening people," Jo said.
"Jo, don't eat much at supper, and don't shake hands... Your dress! You stand too close to the fire. Just keep your back to the wall," Meg scolded.

"What cunning little heels," I said as Amy picked up a pair of shoes and gave them to Meg.

"They're rather small," Meg said.
"It's only for one night," I said.
"Will anyone notice they're from the rag bag," Meg asked.

"You have to have heels. What's that strange smell? Like burnt feathers...," Amy said.

"Heavens above," Jo exclaimed.
"You've ruined me," Meg cried.
"You shouldn't have had me do it. I spoil everything," Jo said.
"I can't go out like this," Meg said.
"Good. I'm not going either," Jo said.

"We'll place my bow in front. Yes, that covers it," Amy said as she tied her ribbon in Meg's hair.

"I'll never have suitors. I'll be an old spinster," Meg said.
"You don't need scores of suitors, only one. The right one," Amy said.

"Meg won't be married right away," Beth said.

"With Jo's help, I never will," Meg said.

Later that evening, the three of us were at the Gardiners' New Year's Eve party. Jo and I were trying to avoid two young men who kept staring at us. We ended up in an unfamiliar room and bumped into someone.  I turned around and saw a boy who looked fifteen, the same age as Jo and me. I suddenly realized who it was. The Laurence boy from next door. I had to admit he looked quite handsome in person.

"Jehosephat," Jo exclaimed.

"I'm sorry. We'll leave you alone," I said.
"Stay! It's a good hiding place. I feel awkward just standing and staring at people. Should I put on my jacket," the boy asked.
"I don't know the rules," I answered.

"I think I've had the pleasure of seeing you before. You live near us, don't you," Jo asked.
"Next door," the boy replied.
"We did have such a good time over your nice Christmas present," Jo said.
"Grandfather sent it," the boy said.
"But you put it into his head, didn't you, now," Jo asked.

"How is your cat, Ms. March," the boy asked.
"Nicely, thank you Mr. Laurence, but I'm not Ms. March. I'm only Abigail, but I prefer to be called Abby," I answered.
"I'm not Mr. Laurence. I'm only Laurie," he said.

"Laurie Laurence. What an odd name," Jo said.
"My first name is Theodore, but I don't like it. For the fellows called me Dora, so I made them say Laurie instead," Laurie said.
"I hate my name too! It's so sentimental! I wish everyone would say Jo instead of Josephine. How did you make the boys stop calling you Dora," Jo asked.
"I thrashed 'em," Laurie replied.
"I can't thrash aunt March, so I suppose I shall have to bear it," Jo said.