12 Mental Health Tips From The Quran And Sunnah

According to recent research conducted by leading mental health organizations, one in four people will experience mental health issues during their lifetime. At the end of 2019, it was estimated that one in 12 people suffer from depression, while a total of 450 million people - including children - were battling some alternative form of mental illness. These numbers were based only on cases which had been reported, suggesting that the reality of mental health issues is much larger. Needless to say that the COVID-19 pandemic has most certainly made the situation worse.

Thankfully, the fact that such a significant percentage of people have begun reporting their mental health issues is a step in the right direction. For centuries, depression and other mental health issues were simply not talked about. In our Muslim communities and family circles, it remains a topic that is not being addressed enough and can even be a taboo. It doesn't have to be: the importance of mental health was never a taboo in Islam. In fact, we find many verses in the Quran and aḥadīth (narrations of the words, actions and character of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him)) addressing the issues around mental health, including depression and anxiety, and offering mental wellbeing tips that we can and should apply in our daily lives. Our deen is complete, and mental health is no exception, alhamdulillah. Read on to find out how the Quran and Sunnah can help with mental health!