His hand squeezes mine and before I know it we are in front of the university library. I haven't come back here since the fire where I thought I lost Preston. It's been too painful of a memory to confront, and even now with him at my side my chest tightens at the echo of pain that still beats through me.

But I remind myself that he's here. He's alive. We've survived so much together. In those moments of unfathomable pain I've only found a deeper love. A stronger foundation for my feelings to grow.

He jerks his head towards the door. "Come on," he says before tugging on my hand. I'm overcome with shock as he moves us towards the library wondering where we are going.

He leads us to the side of the building and my breath catches in my throat at the sudden realization. "Are we—" I can't even finish my words as a burst of excitement races through me.

"Let's find out," he says casually with a shrug. But I can see the enthusiasm shining in his eyes, and it makes me flood with the same emotion.

I nod eagerly as he opens the side door to the library. I follow him up the stairs and onto a deserted floor as the library is closed for the holiday, and then up more stairs until we reach the rickety floors of the attic.

Preston's secret place he shared with me.

He opens the door to reveal a completely new room. The secret place Nathaniel destroyed and tore apart from us with flames and darkness, Preston put back together. It has the same warmth as before, but somehow feels lighter. The room has a fresh coat of paint, no more dust lingering on bookshelves, and the floors no longer creak under the weight of my feet. I can still hear the howl of the winter wind, but the draft has also disappeared.

The furniture is brand new and the shelves are once again filled to the brim with books.

The sun shines brightly through the top of the stained glass that is visible up here reflecting colors all over the fresh wooden floors.

Filled to the brim with childlike excitement I run over to look at the books laid out on the large oak table. My fingers run over the array of stories in front of me. Some are classics that look as if they are first editions. Some are limited editions. Some are new hardcovers of fantasy books I've always wanted to read.

So many options sit in front of me.

I flip around to see Preston staring at me intently.

He lifts his hands so his palms face the ceiling. "What do you think?" he asks slowly as if he's nervous.

I always thought I wanted to make men nervous with my intelligence. Make them question their own thoughts and self righteousness. But with Preston I make him nervous because he cares. He loves. He wants to make me happy in a way I never knew I could be. And it's beyond beautiful.

Tears start to gather in my eyes. "Best surprise ever," I whisper as I start to get choked up.

"I was rushing to have it done before Christmas as a gift for you," he starts. "But having it done on New Year's Eve might be even better."

"New year—"

"New us?" He cuts me off in a joking tone.

I roll my eyes at the cliche saying. "No," I shake my head. "It's the same us, but stronger."

He walks towards me as he pulls off his cashmere gloves and tucks them in the pocket of his wool coat. His fingers reach out and he pushes the loose strands in my face behind my ear. He softly caresses the scar on my cheek. He hates when I hide it. When I try to hide at all. He has never once looked at me differently since the scars that coat my body. If anything the shine that glimmers in his brown eyes has intensified.