Twenty Nine

Depuis le début

I will never understand how I ended up with the two best friends anyone could have. But I will forever be thankful.

"Thanks," I whisper before clearing my throat. "Now please help me figure out what to wear."

And they do just that. They bicker over what to put me in. Pants versus dress versus skirt. Heels or flats or boots? They argue and debate until they help find me the perfect simple yet sexy outfit to wear on my date.

Elizabeth plays music and Annabelle makes us all drinks. They even help with my makeup and curling my hair.

And as I stand in front of the full length mirror in my room I can't be more thankful to them for making me feel so beautiful for a night I never expected to happen.

I eye my fitted long sleeve black off the shoulder top that is tucked into my plaid wool mini skirt. My legs are bare and only covered with a pair of leather knee high boots. It's me. It's simple. It's subtle. But it shows skin, and it makes me feel confident and beautiful. Something I never felt growing up.

A loud knock comes from the front door causing my heart to still. I take a deep breath, and then I down the rest of my drink before I exit my room. My blood tingles in my veins and I feel as if I'm vibrating from the mix of nervous and untamed excitement of what the night has in store.

My eyes flicker to my friends who are sitting on the couch and smiling like crazy. I roll my eyes at their reactions just as they start to quietly squeal.

"Shut up," I whisper yell at them as my cheeks warm, but it only makes them giggle.

I take a deep breath and wipe my sweaty palms against my skirt before I open the door to reveal the only man who's ever been able to steal my breath and challenge my brain in a way that pisses me off and turns me on all at once.

Preston's the most intoxicating contradiction.

He's wearing dark jeans with a black turtleneck and a thick grey peacoat and the smell of his cologne makes me want to snuggle up right against him and never let him go.

He looks as handsome as ever and I have to fight the urge to step closer and reach out to trace my thumb over the scar on his cheek and never stop touching him.

"Hi," I say as I fight the urge to keep my hands from shaking.

"Hey," he replies as his eyes linger on my boot clad legs. The intense gaze sets me on fire and somehow makes me feel even more beautiful. "You look amazing."

His words cause my entire body to flush. "Thanks...you too," I compliment, averting my eyes for a moment so maybe just maybe my heart can finally stop beating so fast. I'm worried I might actually pass out.

"You ready?" he asks with a tilt of his head.

"Yes," I say as I grab my coat and purse off the hook by the door.

"You kids have fun now!" Elizabeth calls just as I'm about to close the door, making my head snap in her direction and my eyes to narrow into a glare.

But my fierce gaze doesn't deter my friends. Instead it eggs them on.

"Have her home by 11!" Annabelle follows up and I shift my eyes to her and flip them both off.

My actions only cause them to bend over in a wild fit of laughter before I slam the front door shut.

"They're funny," he comments by my side as we slowly walk down the hallway.

I shake my head. "They're annoying," I tell him, but a smile can't help but slip across my face as I say it.