Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Why the hell not? Jesus Jakob..." Lauren sat up and grabbed my hand. "This is amazing. You wrote this for Perrie?"

"Yeah." I whispered, unable to stop the smile.

"She'll love it hun! And if she doesn't, she has no right to call herself an artist of any kind at all. She needs her head testing if she doesn't love this. What am I on about? She will love it. Oh my god. I kinda wanna be there when she hears this."

"No chance." I said immediately and we both laughed.

"Fair enough. But you will tell me everything won't you?"

"You know I will. I don't have a choice! I'm really terrified."

"Aah I know, but it'll be worth it. Imagine her face when you tell her you love her. Imagine her reaction when she hears this. It's gonna be perfect Jake."

"I hope so."

Lauren threw her arms around me tight, making us fall back on the bed in a tangle of limbs and headphone wires.

"Right Shakespeare, let's get you to work!"

"Don't let me forget that, give it here."

"Can I put it on in the car?"

"No, I can't listen to myself." I shuddered.

"Why the hell not? I dunno why you've never sang before, you sound incredible."

I pulled a face as I gathered my jacket and my overnight bag and Lauren thumped my shoulder. "J, you know if you sounded shit, I would tell you."

"Yeah, you would." I grinned.

"I'm telling you; you sound brilliant. Are you gonna sing more? Write more songs? Are you gonna do like an album or something?"

"No, definitely not. That's not what this is. It's only the second song I've written that I've actually sang."

"Oooh... what was the first?"

"Nothing, it doesn't matter now, it was crap." I said dismissively.

"If it was anything like this one, I severely doubt that."

"Nope, nothing like this one. It was nothing, leave it alone."

"You bore!" Lauren moaned as we got in the car. "Alright, so you nervous about meeting Pezza's family?"

"Extremely."

"How come?"

"Well it's a scary experience anyway... then you add the fact that she's a huge star, so her mum and her cousin are like a million more times protective. Plus, I'm just a fan so who knows what they're gonna think of me going out with her. Assuming they even know any of this."

"... wow."

"Yep, wow."

"You don't half pick 'em Jakers. Last one was a psycho, this one's... she's great and everything, but the baggage she comes with is insane."

"We're only just starting out, I don't wanna think about that yet." I shrugged.

"I'm sorry Jake but you're gonna have to get real. Quick. She's already fallen in love with you, now you have too and you're about to tell her so. Not that I wanna put you off that at all. But that's a pretty serious point in a relationship anyway, and this is Perrie Edwards. Meeting her family might be the easiest thing you have to do if you're gonna be with her."

I didn't say anything for a couple of minutes, staring out of the window.

"I didn't mean to bring you down." Lauren sighed as we drove into town.