Chapter 1

Everything happens for a reason. I have to say that. I had to say that when my dad left my mom for another woman and completely disappeared, when my older brother died in an auto wreck, and when my closest friend moved to China. 

It wouldn’t make sense for God to be punishing me. I’m overall a good person. So, those things must have happened to me for a reason, so I can learn from them. 

Sure, I’ll admit it. Life is hard. Life is unfair. But that shouldn’t stop you from living. Up until the day my dad left us, he always used to say “anything that doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” And I believed it and still do. There’s nothing stopping me from living.

Just so you know, my dad was my inspiration and my role model. He was everything I wanted to be; confident, happy, intelligent, and proud. Until the day he left; the sixth snow day in January. He left. That morning he had told my mom he didn’t love her anymore, he loved someone else. And he never came back. He never said goodbye. He also killed my brother.

My brother was my best friend. He was eighteen when my father left. I was fourteen. Nate was so mad that my dad left us, he took off in his car. He sped out of the driveway and down the street. Only ten or fifteen minutes later, the police called, telling us that Nate had passed away after skidding on ice and hitting a telephone pole. Within twelve hours I had lost the two most important people in my life. 

This may sound unbelievable, but only about an hour or two later, my closest friend, Clarissa texted me telling me that she was moving... to China. About the farthest place she could go. So, make that losing three people in twelve hours.

So, you can imagine my utter sadness on that sixth snow day in January. 

But that was nearly three years ago and you can’t spend your life mourning. You won’t be happy. Some people say it’s cruel not to be sad about my father’s leaving or brother’s death, but it’s not that I’m not sad, of course I’m sad, they were my closest family, I just choose to put on a smile no matter what I do. 

~ ~ ~

“Grace!” my mother shouted up the stairs at me.

“Yeah?” I replied.

“Come on, sweetie, almost ready?”

“Yep,” I said, grabbing my bags and turning around to take one more good look at my bedroom. 

I ran down the stairs for the last time before jumping into the car with my mom. My mom squeezed my hand once we settled into our seats.

“Everything will be okay, Gracie. We’re going to start a whole new life. It’ll be great,” she said. 

“Yeah, I hope so, Mom.” And even though I said that with a smile on my face as always, I was nervous, doubting my mom’s decision of moving away. I had only ever been here. The thought of leaving frightened me and now I had no choice but to leave.

*  * * * * * * * * *  *

hello readers! so, this is my first story and I don't really know how it is or anything, so please feel free to comment, vote or whatever. I know this chapter is short and kind of awkwardly written so I apologize! But please keep reading. I promise you, the future chapters will be better. thanks guys! love you all ~ Lucie <3