Chapter 7

Monday morning I ran into school with my backpack on my head again. Because it was raining... Again. This town was seriously starting to piss me off. Smoothing my hair down as I reached the main doors, random people that I didn’t even know said hi to me. Was it because I was Max’s girlfriend?

Loosening my scarf, I looked up to see Max staring at me. 

“Uh, hey,” I said, flustered.

He flicked me in the nose without any warning.

“What the hell!” I shouted, rubbing my nose.

“I promised you I’d be mean, remember?” he said, smugly.

I stared at him, very confused. I felt my cheeks redden and I pulled my scarf off. He snatched it from my hands and walked away, tying it around his neck.

“See you in chemistry, girlfriend.”

This kid had serious issues. From across the hallway I saw Max hand my purple plaid scarf to one of his friends. Running in my tall leather boots, I headed towards Max. 

“Give me my scarf back, boyfriend,” I said, sneering. 

The kid holding my scarf said, “Damn, you hot when your angry.”

Both Max and I turned around to glare at the kid. I snatched my scarf from his grasp and tied it around my neck again. 

“You,” I said pointing a finger at Max, “we need to talk.” I grabbed his hand and dragged him to a quiet corner in a hallway. 

“Why are you being mean to me?” I questioned him.

“I thought that was what you wanted.”

Was he serious? “Max! No!”

Something in his bright green eyes flashed and he stared into my eyes. “Sorry.”

Looking away from his gaze I blushed. “Are we still... you know?”

“Dating? Yes.”

“Good,” I said, turning on my heel and walking away, throwing him the sassy card.

“Okay... well, bye,” he said in his sexy English accent.

~~~

I walked into chemistry class and saw a note at my desk. Placing my backpack on the ground I opened it-

Grace- meet me at the north hall water fountain now. bring your backpack. -your secret admirer

Was he serious? He wanted me to ditch class? The second bell rang, signaling the start of class. I slumped down in my chair, glancing at the empty spot next to me. I was torn between being disappointed I didn’t meet Max or content that I was being a good student. 

Halfway between class I began thinking about Max again. Was he sitting waiting for me? Would he be mad? Did he leave school? Would we still be boyfriend and girlfriend? Why-

“Ms. Anderson, would you pay attention please?” the teacher, who I found out his name is Mr. Wilson, said.

“Uh, yeah, sorry,” I said, my cheeks reddening by the second. Just as Mr. Wilson looked away I spoke again, “Um, may I go to the bathroom?”

After a sassy eye roll, Mr. Wilson shoved me the hall pass.

Rather than going to the bathroom I hurried to the north hall hoping Max would be there still. As I rounded the corner towards the water fountain I saw Max, but not only him...

Entangled in his grasp was some blonde girl who was kissing him like there was no tomorrow. What a bitch. 

I must have been staring because Max quickly looked up and saw me. His bright green eyes flashed with pain but it changed to smugness after he saw the hurt written across my face. Rather than breaking away from Blonde Bitch’s possessive lock, he closed his eyes and kissed her more intensely. 

I spun around and ran. Tears poured from my eyes and I entered the bathroom where a group of freshmen girls were applying eye makeup. I ran into a stall and slammed a door. I heard whispers before they left. 

I was incredibly upset. I didn’t even have feelings for Max... Wait, did I have feelings for Max? I mean we were dating and all, but that was only because Max said so. I should have expected this... he was a player from the beginning. Nothing but a heartless player. I knew that from the first time he glared at me in the hallway... when his gorgeous green eyes pierced into mine- Grace, stop! You’re totally falling for him! He doesn’t deserve me anyway. I guess that whole time when I poured my feeling and problems out to him and he acted sorry for me was all an act, a stupid act. 

Stepping out of the written on bathroom stall, I looked at myself in the mirror; my eyes were puffy, makeup smeared. My hair was frizzy from the rain, even though I had my backpack on my head... 

Five minutes later after I freshened up, I left the bathroom and headed back to class. I was so going to get in trouble in science. I was already on Mr. Wilson’s bad side and I had only been here a week! 

I slowly walked into the chemistry lab with a somewhat guilty look on my face.

“Ms. Anderson, would you like to explain to us where you went?”

“Oh, I had this awful headache, so I went to the nurse’s office-” I said, boldly, before getting cut off. I was proud of myself for sticking up and standing tall. Usually I cowered and sat back down in my seat, but I stayed standing as Mr. Wilson glared at me.

“She didn’t give you a pass?”

“No, actually she wasn’t there, so I went to the main office to see if she was there, which she wasn’t. Then I went to the bathroom to splash some water on my face to calm the headache.” 

I waited for Mr. Wilson’s response. “Don’t let it happen again,” he said, pointing to my seat. 

I quietly slipped into my seat. I stared at the clock the entire class, my mind drifting in every direction. Finally the bell rang and I escaped the classroom. 

Not feeling well enough to finish the rest of the school day I walked out a side door and headed toward the parking lot. I walked slowly through the pouring rain, not bothering to cover my head or run. I mean, what was the point? 

I got in my car and drove home, where I watched I Love Lucy re-runs in my pajamas while I ate ice cream for the rest of the afternoon. What a lousy day...

---------------------------

I cannot apologize enough for taking so long to update but please keep reading :) I'll update soon again because I'm on spring break this week. Also, Love Bug will be updated later too :)

Keep reading! <3 Luce