>>

>> Displeasant News and The Other Beverley

A/N: Hey folks! Here is the first half of the story. I know it sounds ridiculous that it consists of only two chapters but when you read them, you'll understand what I mean.

I want a favour from you. Tell me what you think about the characters, especially the female since she's my first attempt of such a person. Tell me what you think what will happen next and whether you like the characters so far. Why or why not?

By the way, thanks for reading and voting/commenting on the summary! It has got more attention than I expected!

So, here is the chapter. Enjoy. :)

Banner credit: @heroiques

*

>> Chapter One:

It always feels good to return where you belong. Starting a new chapter of your life - all clear and ready to be filled with new adventures. I am at that stage right now, walking in the streets of my old small town. It was two years ago when I last walked here - I'd been running.

Nobody thought I was running away, they seemed to know it as a break, including my boyfriend Beverley. I am not sure if he is an ex any more but I am only minutes away from learning it. I glance around, sending bunch of wide grins at the people I'm familiar with. Some return it with another grin and some with waves.

It was kind of rushy and unpredictable for me to leave this place. Deep down, it was really a need of break but not from them, myself. It was a product of jealousy mixed with misunderstanding where led me to mistakes. I couldn't look at Beverley's face after that. Perhaps it was a break from that. My ultimate embarrassment.

Now, I'm back for forgiveness. After those two years, I forgave myself - it was numb and meant nothing. I want Beverley to forgive me, too. Even if he doesn't want to be back together, at least I need his forgiveness and warm smile. One problem is that he really thinks I needed a break - he's never known of my mistake.

My mistake was cheating. It doesn't sound something that can be forgiven or understood but it was an abrupt moment of my weakness. I shouldn't have forgiven myself but I have. Maybe because throughout my childhood, my parents never taught me that cheating was forbidden and a disgrace. Yeah, it is wrong and a mistake but a forgiven one. It was what my parents taught me - well, maybe what their actions taught me.

My father cheated on my mother several times and each time, my mother found it out. I would believe they would divorce and I used to cry myself to sleep but then, next morning they would be all the same, my mother with sick happy smile and my father with an amused grin. According to that, all I understood (with my little childish brain) was cheating was acceptable and could be forgiven. It was a mistake, yes, but it could be fixed. It wouldn't damage the relationship.

At that moment, I come across with one of Beverley's friends, Jonathan. He is talking to a guy, laughing between the words, and he seems quite happy. I think it is a good sign that gives me hope about Beverley being happy as well. I walk to him with a satisfaction and when our eyes meet, his face abruptly falls. "Jonathan," I greet him with a trace of doubt and curiosity in my voice.

"Gwendolyn." His voice is alerted and cold, almost pale as though he has just seen a ghost. With a frown, I part my lips to ask what's wrong. "We - we thought that you were dead."

"Dead?" I ask dumbfounded. With a humorless and light laugh, I add. "Why would I be dead?"

He leans against the store's wall to get the strength he needs to keep up. "That plane accident...all of us watched it in the news and no one survived."