Snake Bite/Christmas Break

Start from the beginning

The Weasleys looked at Harry for another moment, their gazes almost accusatory, as if he had done the attack.

"Is Mum here?" said Fred, turning to Sirius.

"She probably doesn't even know what's happened yet," said Sirius. "The important thing was to get you away before Umbridge could interfere. I expect Dumbledore's letting Molly know now."

"We've got to go to St. Mungos," said Ginny urgently, She looked around at her brothers; they were of course still in their pyjamas. "Sirius, can you lend us cloaks or anything?"

"Hang on, you can't go tearing off to St. Mungo's!" said Sirius.

"Course we can go to St. Mungo's if we want," said Fred, with a mulish expression. "He's our dad!"

"And how are you going to explain how you knew Arthur was attacked before the hospital even let his wife know?"

"What does that matter?" said George hotly.

"It matters because we don't want to draw attention to the fact that Harry is having visions of things that are happening hundreds of miles away!" said Sirius angrily. "Have you any idea what the Ministry would make off that information?"

Fred and George looked as though they could not care less what the Ministry made of anything. Ron was still ashen-faced and silent.

Ginny said, "Somebody else could have told us ... we could have heard it somewhere other than Harry."

"Like who?" said Sirius impatiently. "Listen, your dad's been hurt while on duty for the Order and the circumstances are fishy enough without his children knowing about it seconds after it happened, you could seriously damage the Order's-"

"We don't care about the dumb Order!" shouted Fred.

"It's our dad dying we're talking about!" yelled George.

"Your father knew what he was getting into and he won't thank you for messing things up for the Order!' said Sirius, equally angry. 'This is how it is--this is why you're not in the Order--you don't understand--there are things worth dying for!"

"Easy for you to say, stuck here!" bellowed Fred. "I don't see you risking your neck!"

The little colour remaining in Sirius's face drained from it. He looked for a moment as though he would quite like to hit Fred.

"Freddie, it's tough, but Sirius is right. We have to stay out here at least until we get word from your mother." I said quietly, causing the yelling to end abruptly, and everyone to grow quiet.

Fred and George still looked mutinous. Ginny, however, took a few steps over to the nearest chair and sank into it. I looked at Ron, who made a funny movement somewhere between a nod and a shrug, and sat down too. The twins glared at Sirius for another minute, then took seats either side of Ginny. I sat down next to Fred, gently holding his arm.

"That's right," said Sirius encouragingly, "come on, lets all ... let's all have a drink while we're waiting. Accio Butterbeer!"

He raised his wand as he spoke and seven bottles came flying towards them out of the pantry, skidded along the table, scattering the debris of Sirius's meal, and stopped neatly in front of us . We all drank, and for a while the only sounds were those of the crackling of the kitchen fire and the soft thud of our bottles on the table.