Five days? I've been unconscious for five days?

Another man is suddenly hovering in your line of vision. "I'm Doctor Oberton, Y/N. Can you follow my light with your eyes?"

You struggle to do as he says. He takes your hands and asks you to squeeze them. You manage to give one small squeeze.

"You're doing so good, baby." Aaron encourages.

"Y/N, can you feel this?"

You feel a tingling sensation on the bottom of your foot and nod.

"Now on the right?"

You nod again.

"That's great, Y/N. You're doing very well. Now, can you tell me where you are?"

"Hosp...hosp..."

"That's good, don't strain yourself. This is excellent progress."

"She's okay, right?" Emily asks worriedly. "She's not speaking well."

"Her throat is probably dry and sore from the tube we had to place for surgery. It may take a few more days for her voice to come back completely. The most important thing is that she rests and doesn't try to overdo it."

"Good luck convincing her that." Aaron mutters and your eyes flicker to him.

Shit. He's mad at me. Almost dying didn't get me off the hook.

He takes your hand again and you squeeze it as hard as you can. His eyes shoot up to your face and you scowl at him then roll your eyes.

He looks surprised, then chuckles. "Knock it off, you little asshole. Get some rest."

You use the last of your strength to stick out your tongue before passing out once more.

____________________

When you awaken later, it's much easier to open to your eyes and move around some. You glance down and see Aaron seated to your right, his head resting on the bed. His fingers are laced with yours and even in his sleep he's lightly stroking your thumb.

You stay quiet and let him rest. He looks so tired, the dark circles under his eyes are more prominent than usual and his forehead is furrowed.

Emily steps into the room and you motion for her to stay quiet. She grins from ear-to-ear when she sees you moving around.

"The doctor weaned you off some of your pain meds; looks like it really made a difference!" She whispers, sitting on the other side of the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore, but I think I'll live. How's Spencer? What happened to Alex?"

"Spencer is fine, he had a mild concussion. Alex is in jail, no one will bond him out. Of course he was in the hospital a few days from the beat-down Hotch put on him."

"I'm glad."

"Other than checking on Jack, he's not left your side, girly."

You look down at him and frown. "He's gonna be so pissed at me."

"He's just grateful you're okay, Y/N. Trust me. The man has been a wreck."

Aaron stirs and lifts his head.

"Y/N?"

"Hi."

"Hi." He smiles sleepily.

"I'll let the doctor know you're awake again." Emily says before leaving the room to give you and Aaron some privacy.