Dueling in the Dark

Chapter Five: Dueling in the Dark

Claire yawned as she left detention. She looked at her watch and saw it was thirty minutes pass curfew. She cursed and started to rush to the common room. Suddenly, she crashed into someone. As she picked herself up, she saw a boy about her age. He had blue eyes and dirty blonde hair.

"Sorry." They said at the same time.

"Hey, aren't you that Gryffindor girl who stood up to Snape? My names Joe Dylans, Gryffindor." The boy said.

"Claire Smith and yep, I'm that girl. In fact I just left detention with him." Claire replied. "So, why are you out after curfew?"

"Just wanted to roam the castle. I can't believe how huge it is." Joe said.

"Yea, I kept getting lost the first few days." Claire stated.

There was a few moments of an awkward silence until they both realized they should head back to the common room. They soon arrived at the common room without getting caught wandering the castle after dark.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow." Claire said.

They both went up to their dorms and fell asleep. Claire woke up the next morning to Hermione, once again, yelling at her to wake up.

"You know, I would throw my pillow at you, but I'm too comfortable." Claire said.

Somehow, Claire managed to get up and get dressed. She yawned as she walked down to the common room pulling her hair into a bun. She met up with Ron and Harry (Hermione went to the Library) to go down to breakfast.

"Hey, Claire!" Claire turned to see Joe. Claire told Harry and Ron to go ahead and she'd see them at the table.

"Hey, Joe! What's up?" Claire greeted the boy.

"Oh, nothing much. Want to go down to breakfast together?" Joe asked.

"Sure." They walked down to the Great Hall making each other laugh with one another's joke.

"You're kidding?!" Joe questioned in disbelief as Claire told him how Ron developed a fear of spiders.

"No, I'm serious. Fred, George, and I thought it'd be a brilliant idea to turn his favorite stuff teddy into a spider. His reaction was priceless. However, we got yelled at by Molly. The experience left Ron petrified of spiders." Claire said.

They were soon in the Great Hall. Joe said goodbye to Claire while she went to sit with Harry and Ron. As she set down she asked them what class they had today.

"Flying lessons. Who was that boy you were talking to?" Ron asked.

Ron considered Claire as his sister and was protective over her; especially when it involved boys. Not only was Ron protective over her but Ron's brothers Fred, George, Percy, Charlie, and Bill were too. But seeing as Charlie and Bill weren't at Hogwarts, and Fred, George, and Percy weren't in the Great Hall yet, Ron was the one confronting her on talking with the mysterious boy.

Claire rolled her eyes and said, "His name is Joe Dylans. He's in Gryffindor and he's a first year. And I appreciate you trying to be protective over me but honestly I can take care of myself thank you very much." And with that she finished a glass of milk and grabbed an apple before heading out of the Great Hall.

"My name is Madam Hooch. You are here today to learn how to fly a broom." The flying teacher began.

Claire resisted the urge to roll her eyes saying sarcastically in her head No, really? I would've never guessed since the name of this class is FLYING lessons.